Cell Phone Scam Alert!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

My DH checks our phone, cable, bank and financial statements monthly. He also checks our checking account weekly. There just seems to be someone at every turn wanting to scam you, spam you and relieve you of your money and/or assets. If I hear one more foreign national tell me how he has been given millions of dollars but needs my account to access it, I am going to scream!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I was angry enough that the cell phone company can charge me for incoming texts from spammers, and had no idea that they could actually start phony subscriptions at my expense.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM

I'm sure the service providers have had lots of customer complaints about unwanted texting. A year ago a rep told me they couldn't turn off incoming texts but just the other day I called Verizon and now they can. I don't subscribe to texting on my plan and I DO NOT want incoming text messages. My time is too valuable to spend it typing on a miniscule keyboard and/or checking my phone bill to control others who do. So for now, I have it under control but I'm sure technology will find another way to bite me!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 AM

One of the local TV stations did a segment on this and they said if you text "Stop" back that's when you gt charged. They said the best thing to do was just delete the message. Don't open it.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 AM

This subject hit a hot spot for me. We have been scammed to the tune of $9.00 a month for the last 8-9 years through our land line, AT&T. I on several occasions called this 3rd party to ask about the service I supposedly was receiving from them and all I could get out of them was that the GOV allowed them to bill us.
About a year ago, I called AT&T to see if I could get a less expensive plan, explaining that to discontinue service was a viable option.lol This young man was very helpful. He told me that the 3rd party billing was unneccesary and offered me 8 months refund as credit, etc. He did fail to tell me that I should call the 3rd party and tell them to go to ***. Then started 6 months of threatening bills and phone calls. In Jan. I finally sent them a reg letter requesting a copy of this so called contract they have with me as I do not have a copy. Haven't heard from them since. Just had our home refi. and found out that we still have really good credit score!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Wow thanks for the warning
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM

After a couple businesses sent me texts that I did not want, and I got charged for the "privilege " of receiving them, I had AT&T turn off the texting. I never text anyone...I call. End of that problem. And all these numbers I don't know? I google them, and there are usually a number of people who have already received calls and left info on who they are, and what they are pushing. I have more "rejects" listed than actual numbers of people I call, but once they are on there, they can waste their time calling, and I never hear my cell phone ring. I leave my answering machine on to screen for me, too.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

I would be lost without texting. A huge time saver for me. Don't have to have a long conversation to get an answer to a simple question. This also happened to me about almost a year ago. AT&T was great. They immediately refunded all the charges, gave me a credit for inconvenience, blocks on all the phones with a PIN and gave me 4 free ring tone downloads. Also, check with your provider. I work in a hospital, and we get a %40 discount. All I had to do was take my ID badge and license to the nearest AT&T store.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Dee

Had the same thing with magazines a couple years ago.