Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cell Phone Use and Driving? >

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 AM

I have seen TOO MANY almost accidents because of someone with the phone up to their ear!!!!! I only answer the phone using the blue tooth while driving. IF I forget to take it with me - then I let ALL calls go to voice mail until I can pull over to listen to it and call that person back.
As far as texting goes - I don't do that at all - takes to long to do.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Called my daughter's cell the other day and was glad to hear this message - "I'm either away from my phone right now or driving my car. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when I can." Yay DD - and such a good example for her two teen drivers!!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 PM

I've been hit twice by drivers on phones, it is pretty scary to look in the rearview mirror and see someone coming at you and not be able to do anything on a busy freeway. Also rammed me into the car in front of me both times.
We have a cell phone for the family in case one of us will need to get in touch, but it usually sits in the drawer. All day long I am getting phone calls at work, at home someone is constantly calling for mom, the only quiet time I have is on that ride to and from work.... I value that too much to give it up. And I guess I am not so important that I need to be available the second someone decides to call me.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I did not start this thread to have it degenerate into unpleasant comments. Please remember we are here to support not to tear down. THIS THREAD WILL GET LOCKED IF EVERYONE CAN'T BE NICE!!!

We are all entitled to our opinion but keep it clean please. I started this thread because I wanted to know if Iowa has banned cellphone use or not.

My DD does live in her car due to the demands on her by her children who have medical issues and her responsiblities to her DH's CHiro Clinic and inlaws and other responsiblities.

If you don't have those kind of responsibilies that are life threatening then you can't understand some people do NEED to be available at all times. Whether she should use a hands free version -- I agree that would be a better situation. but not everyone has the luxory of being unavailable. My DH has medical conditions that means I have to be able to talk to him and check on him while I am gone. If he has a seizure I need to know to get him help. So when I do have to be gone for a little while I use my cell phone to check on him and I have to be able to get calls from him if he has fallen and needs help.

so to say in general that all drivers should not have access to a cell phone is not reality. There are needs that the cell phone fills for people beyond chatting. Mine is a lifeline incase my DD needs me to meet her at the hosp with one of the kids or if my DH needs help. He can't walk well so we also make sure we have at least one cell with us at all times when we go to town.

So please everyone keep in mind that everyone has differant needs and there are more than one side to things.

In my opinion cell phones are only dangerous when the user does not use common sense. If accidents happen then it was pilot error. If they are careless with the phone use then bad things can happen.

But not everyone is careless behind the wheel. I hate generalizations. There is never a time when all people do the same thing. There will always be people who abuse the rules.
Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. 'Bad things can happen' could mean permanent disability or death for you, your daughter, her children, and the other drivers. Then who will take care of your husband? and yes it really is that serious. My neice was killed walking down the street by someone who bent down to light her cigarette and swerved onto the curb. I was injured when a guy talking on his cell phone slammed into the back of my car at a stop light. It is not a generalization to say that distractions cause accidents. It is a fact.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 PM

It will be a hardship on her children if she is killed in an accident or jailed because of her phone, or worse if one of her kids is killed.

The statistics are staggering - talking on your phone while driving is equivalent to having had 4 alcoholic drinks and while talking you are 4 times more likely to have an accident. That rises to 8 times more likely for texting. NO call can be that important. Cell phones take messages. Check the call at a traffic light or stop sign, or just pull over.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
But my DD lives on her phone with 3 kids with medical issues and one of them is her autistic son. She can only be reached on her phone. She is always on the go. So it would be a hardship for her.
------------------------------------------------
It would be an even worse hardship for her to have to bury her kids, or be forced to go to jail because of someone else she has killed while talking on the phone and driving.

As a concerned mother, she should ALWAYS stop that darn car to talk on the phone. It is hard enough to concentrate on avoiding accidents without the attention grabbing phone calls and children arguing and driving on rainy or frozen slippery roads. There are way too many others out there doing just as she is. That is why lots of states are voting in that law, which is really needed. That is another reason the blood bank I volunteer with is constantly desperately searching for new donors, we are always short of blood and need more. Let's hope your daughter is never one of those who winds up needing a transfusion because she would not stop the car long enough to talk on her cell phone.[/quote]

I do SO agree, over here there have been many many accidents with drivers using their phones to call/answer/text and several innocent people have been killed AND sadly the jail sentence is VERY inadequate for this offence.
IMHO I feel ANYONE found using a mobile phone whilst driving [except hands free--and that too can be distracting] should be automatically banned from driving for a year
Old 10-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Im sorry but as a ret RN,I have to say if the phone call is so important,stay home and answer it. Not in the car or in the store etc.