Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Change of life question... no, I don't mean THAT kind of change... ! >

Change of life question... no, I don't mean THAT kind of change... !

Change of life question... no, I don't mean THAT kind of change... !

Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 AM

My favorite is Project Linus. I know the children enjoy receiving the quilts, and the older kids can't believe someone they don't know would make a quilt just for them to keep.

Very satisfying!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 AM

Our quilt guild makes quilts for benefits, beginning to make for veterans in need and will give one away each veterans day, quilts are needed for issolettes ion hospitals, your local fire department can use some, women's shelters the list goes on and on.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 AM

Senior Citizens, some of them have worked all their lives and now are all alone. The gift of a quilt has made many light up and that is worth more than any amount of money. Wounded Warriors is also another of my favorites.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

project linus and the local pet shelters and senior homes. pet beds and then wraps and lap quilts for seniors are so welcome when they spend a lot, too much, time just sitting; they get cold. And womens' shelters. a lot of times they have fled a bad situation and the kids are scared. a quilt gives them something to hold on to and snuggle while times and things change and are uncertain.

Last edited by cherrio; 10-09-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 AM

I like a variety. We do hospice quilts for guild and I just joined a group that sews pillowcases for kids with cancer. My guild also makes pet beds and another member does Quilts of Valor.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM

When DH bought me my beautiful Bernina 440QE, I decided to learn it and use up some of my stash by making pillow cases for the Million Pillowcase Challenge. I made 37 before I decided to get back to my own work. They went to the local homeless shelter. The shelter management had never heard of the challenge and I think they sent someone to google it while they chatted with me. On discovering that it is a real thing and that I wanted absolutely nothing in return (not even the picture they wanted to take for their donor newsletter) they gratefully accepted them.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM

I make pillow cases for Childrens' Hospital of the King's Daughters. Every child in their care gets their own pillow case (at least one) that they get to keep. The children get to take it home with them when they leave. It's something of their own in a place where life can get very scary and things are strange.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

When I belonged to a quilt guild for many years, we made quilts for David's House, a home away from home for patients and their families who were hospitalized for long periods, similar to a Ronald McDonald House, but unique to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Hospital in Lebanon, NH. I always loved when we could see pictures of the quilts we'd made with their recipients. Since we've moved and I no longer belong to that guild, I've been looking for another quilting group where I can do something similar. I found it a great way to try out different colors and fabrics outside my normal comfort zone, and knowing that my efforts went to helping a child during a difficult time.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Our small guild, 30 members, makes quilts for our county military, disaster quilts, baby quilts for the sheriffs dept, social service, Christmas baskets for 2 yo's & younger, lap and bed quilts for our nursing home, placemats for home delivered meals, donating about 200 quilts a year, So a few dedicated quilters can make a large dent in a small community. We don't have a hospital in our county or we would help out there, we also donate quilts for tornado victims. Quilters have huge hearts.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM

I like the local charities too, also the premie dept. at Childrens Hospital