Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: charityy

Power Poster

charityy

What does "charity" mean to you?

As a giver?

As a receiver?

The reason for the question:

There was an article in the Reader's Digest magazine a few months ago about what food items are more sppreciated than others. The gist of it was that some things were more usable than others.

Blog Entries
    for charity, I make quilts. something they cannot afford to get themselves to do a good deed toward someone else.
    does that make sense?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    ​I donate what I would like to receive myself.

As a "giver" I try to pick organizations, causes, or people that have special meaning to me. For example... My DGS has epilepsy, so we support their yearly walk. Our retiree group raises funds for about 300 Christmas dinners. The joy is in giving to try to help others. We have been very fortunate to be able to do this.

We donate to the local family homeless shelter. About every 3 months we bring in all our aluminum cans to them, I go through our closets several times a year and donate clothes. They need decent looking clothes so they can look and fell good going to or looking for work. We also give them gift cards from Wal Mart, so they can buy paper goods, trash bags etc. It's not much in the grand scheme of things but every bit helps.

We get a tax deduction and a good feeling we help several folks who are on hard times.

The shelter turns in all the cans it gets and uses the money to pay the utility bills.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I lost friends who served in Viet Nam so donate a lot to the Viet Nam Vet groups. They take clothing, household items, etc, and sell them in a resale shop. Also donate quilts to the local Nam vets for auctions. I'd never donate anything that I wouldn't use--so many people send broken, smelly, stained items that have no value to the organization.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I donate to several groups, including homeless shelter, women's shelter and in the past Quilts for Kids. I dislike the word charity. I perfer donation.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I just bought 4 bags of groceries for the local food shelf on my last shopping trip - I tried to pick out nutritious foods, mac& cheese, tuna, canned chicken, but at the last store was a box of Twinkie-things marked down to $1.00 for 12, so I added that. I know they will break up the box and give a few each to families with kids. Sometimes a treat is nice.

As far as clothes, I tend to wear out my clothes so they are no longer donatable when I am through. I am amazed at how people donate clothes with holes, stains etc.

Blog Entries
    People who give their "trash" have forgotten that those in need were not necessarily always in need. Donating trash shows little or no respect for "our neighbours". New isn't always necessary but Clean and in good repair is.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I do give to our local food pantry drives.....checks periodically to st Jude's children's hospital, local fire dept yearly needy drive, Salvation Army Christmas kettle, but I will not give money to someone standing in front of Walmart, or chain food store or middle of street with large jar with copier paper whatever taped to it......I fear some may be bogus......just watched latest Blue Bloods episode and reinforced my suspicion......
    Was donating to local goodwill, but now will switch to a church sponsored resale shop......I feel cause there is more worthy. Jmho

I make most of my quilts for either the church's charities or for an organization that send foster kids to camp. I too look at it as more as a donation than charity. Foster kids sometimes when they go to camp have only the clothes on their back. I feel they deserve something special that belongs to them.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My favorite pastor taught us to give our best and not our worst. I never donate something that I wouldn't like for myself. (Unless it is this NEW pair of shoes that hurt. haha)

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    This one was a stumper for me.
    I guess when you asked what charity means to me as a giver AND as a receiver, my first thought was that I am blessed to not need charity, however I have always considered anything that anyone has given me or done for me a kindness.
    So I'd have to say that as a giver I look at it as a kindness; extended to anyone, whether in need, for whatever reason or circumstance, whether it be a quilt, a batch of cookies or a $5 bill. That frees me from searching for certain places to give and lets me seize any opportunity that falls in front of me. I'm sure that we are all the same, we just may have forgotten to add what we deem as charity to simply fall under the category or kindness.......both as a giver and a receiver.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Good question! In my earlier days of quilting, someone suggested I give my not-quite-successes to charity. The 'reasoning' was that someone with very little, would appreciate my failures. Seems rather cold-hearted, to me. IMO, someone with very little should be given something beautiful, to make up for what he/she doesn't have. Children, especially, should be given colorful and cheery quilts, not dull and depressing quilts. Animal shelters would certainly appreciate anything but children, regardless of their circumstances, deserve to have something to love and cherish.

Sorry for the rant.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    This one was a stumper for me.
    I guess when you asked what charity means to me as a giver AND as a receiver, my first thought was that I am blessed to not need charity, however I have always considered anything that anyone has given me or done for me a kindness.
    So I'd have to say that as a giver I look at it as a kindness; extended to anyone, whether in need, for whatever reason or circumstance, whether it be a quilt, a batch of cookies or a $5 bill. That frees me from searching for certain places to give and lets me seize any opportunity that falls in front of me. I'm sure that we are all the same, we just may have forgotten to add what we deem as charity to simply fall under the category or kindness.......both as a giver and a receiver.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.....I have searched for another word for charity for so long and kindness is just absolutely perfect! You couldn't ever have said it better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Good question! In my earlier days of quilting, someone suggested I give my not-quite-successes to charity. The 'reasoning' was that someone with very little, would appreciate my failures. Seems rather cold-hearted, to me. IMO, someone with very little should be given something beautiful, to make up for what he/she doesn't have. Children, especially, should be given colorful and cheery quilts, not dull and depressing quilts. Animal shelters would certainly appreciate anything but children, regardless of their circumstances, deserve to have something to love and cherish.

Sorry for the rant.
    Not ranting Neesie....just your opinion and we're all entitled to them.
    I agree with everything you said.

We give mostly to people in our area, when some one has a fire, house or barn, my husband usually the first one there and gives money, (they may need it for cloths or med right now) then I pack a tote with soap shampoo, towels of all kinds, paper plates , cups, plat-ware,) Later we offer our help in clean up. Recently we gave home made rugs, towels & a new home made quilt. People were very generous, but there were way to many things that belonged on a rummage sale, I felt these people lost the mother to cancer, the son broke both legs in a car accident, and now their house burnt down. They had no time to hold a rummage sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I just bought 4 bags of groceries for the local food shelf on my last shopping trip - I tried to pick out nutritious foods, mac& cheese, tuna, canned chicken, but at the last store was a box of Twinkie-things marked down to $1.00 for 12, so I added that. I know they will break up the box and give a few each to families with kids. Sometimes a treat is nice.

As far as clothes, I tend to wear out my clothes so they are no longer donatable when I am through. I am amazed at how people donate clothes with holes, stains etc.
    I agree about the treats...some times a little treat is nice.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    While on the subject of "charity": Do any of you feel as I do? I really don't like the word. I seems (to me) that we are putting people in categories... I am not rich by any means but I know that there are those that have more and those that have less. I try to help any and all that are having "hard times" even if it is only an "ear" to listen or a cup of coffee. I have been searching for a word to replace charity. Any ideas? OH, I too agree that if it is not good enough for yourself why would you think it was good enough for another. I try to make all my quilts, coats, toys, etc to the best of my ability and something to be proud of even if the design or colors are not to my style. ptquilts, I agree. When my clothes are no longer of use to me the are regulated to the shop as rags to clean with.lol

I almost never give cash to people on the street corners. I do occasionally buy them a sandwich. When I was working I had to pick up the mail from the post office. There was this guy who offered to clean car windows for a donation. (non-aggressive - not like New York) I didn't want my windows cleaned, but when McDonalds had 2 for 1 egg McMuffins, I always gave him one. One day he was there washing windows and not taking any cash from anyone. One of the other customers had noticed how hard he worked and offered him a job... he was thanking us all.
    I never saw him again (he had a job!). But it changed how I view people. I don't often give street people cash - but I do buy them a burger now and then (and sometimes their dog too)

Blog Entries
    Interesting discussion. I am on low budget, retired status so I never have cash money to give. I do however, even tho' the postage is a strain on me (sometimes my son will mail for me) mail out a lot of donations, especially out of country. I feel even tho' there is a need here in the US, there is always a greater need overseas. Here there are thrift stores where one can get good stuff. Altho' I do send to Indian reservations. I have stopped donating to Project Linus and a local group because they accept items that have been made by a smoker. I am afraid my items will also smell as they are in same box or pkg. and they may end out being throw out. You cannot give a smelly blanket to a sick kid in the hospital. I like giving...making someone's life a little better. Not sure if I added to the discussion....hope so.

I help out those I know are in need. For many years it was food for students at my school who were in destitute situations. ( I was the go to for our school social worker when it was a last minute crunch). Since retirement (yeah!) I pay it forward when a situation presents itself. After all, you can't take it with you!

Quote Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
    While on the subject of "charity": Do any of you feel as I do? I really don't like the word. I seems (to me) that we are putting people in categories... I am not rich by any means but I know that there are those that have more and those that have less. I try to help any and all that are having "hard times" even if it is only an "ear" to listen or a cup of coffee. I have been searching for a word to replace charity. Any ideas?
    I think the word you are looking for, is "love."

I have been on both sides of this fence. When I donate now, the item I give is something I wouldn't mind receiving. The clothing I give must be in very good, wearable condition (you would cringe to see some of the "nasty" clothing being given out) and food items must be edible (in date, not opened, and not "weird" [especially no fancy stuff that the majority of people don't eat like snails, oysters, etc. - give good old fashioned peanut better, macaroni, etc.]). Nothing surprises me anymore in what folks will donate...and no, I am NOT slamming anyone here because we all do our best!

When I can, I upcycle my clothes to Goodwill or Salvation Army (usually because I've gotten too fat to fit in them!). I will usually not give folks on the street cash, but I will buy them a hot drink in the winter or a bottle of cold water in the summer. Not much, but appreciated nonetheless. I used to send money to the USO when my son was active duty Marine Corps. Now, I don't do any cash/check charities.

My quilt guild makes quilts for FIT (Families In Transition), QOV and we have a food pantry that we donate non perishable items to, as well.

Thanks to all of you wonderful folks for making a difference in someone's life! You may not know the recipients of your love and kindness, but trust me, it is appreciated!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I donate money to the local food bank, Salvation Army, Red Cross, and to animal rescues. My gently used household items are donated to Goodwill for them to sell. I don't donate clothing or linens because it is well worn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast