Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brings YOU Joy?

What Brings YOU Joy?

Sometimes with all of the turmoil in the world around us and when just day to day living gets overwhelming I make myself stop and think about something that brings me joy. Not just run-of-the-mill happiness, but lump-in-your-throat, tears-in-your-eyes joy. It never fails to get me out of my doldrums.

Today mine was listening to my three teenagers practice music together for an upcoming event where they have been asked to play. They were working together so sweetly and actually being kind and helpful to each other (not a snark to be heard!). The music of course was that much the sweeter because of it.

One of the three almost died in 2006 of cardiomyopathy and spent two months in the ICU. So, seeing him healthy and strong and sawing away on his violin.....Pure joy.

I would love to hear about your joyful moments.
    Do not worry about the past, for it is history,
    Do not worry about the future, for it is a mystery,
    Only live for today, for it is a gift, that is why it is called "the present."

I am happiest when,
    1. the sun is just THINKING about going down
    2. the weather is such that the windows are open
    3. I can hear kids playing up the street, or someone is mowing their lawn
    4. there is a wonderful old movie on television
    5. I am making something wonderful for supper
    and
    6. Jim will be home in about 20 minutes.

Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

You're right, we need to think about all the good things in our life, especially when we are stressed over something.

The joy and loves of our lives can't ever be replaced, and never forgotten, where as some of the things we've stressed over often (not always) disappear from our memory.

My joy is my family and the love that we share. Without them and all the memories we've made, some good, some not so good, my life would be very different.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Power Poster
    Joy right now is hearing the birds starting to chirp outside. When I hear them, I know spring is close. I am on the look out for sighting my first Robin.

Blog Entries
    Seeing my husband or my son walk thru the door.
    Watching my kitty Zoey do just about anything.
    fabric shopping or making something for someone, and seeing them enjoy it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    My joy moments are frequently around newborn or little babies...their births, theirs smiles, their actions, their pictures in cute outfits, their interactions with family pets. After several years in birthwork, I just LOVE babies, their purity, and the promise of the beauty of the future they bring.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Pure joy is my family when I get to talk to them. Often I get on Facebook and am on the phone at the same time. One evening right after supper, DH and I both got phone calls from both boys (they planned it) and the daughters were with them (r 4 DGDs). right after we spoke (2 1/2 hrs) we were told to go to the FB. The 2 oldest taped everyone while we were on the phone. That was better than Christmas and they had us on speakerphone. That was pure joy. DH and I talked even after we went to bed. Sometimes technology is pure joy. We've decided we may just Skype the next call. Probably will. Be ready for the next one.

I am happiest when all 6 of the kids are home with their families. It's all about family with me. My youngest granddaughter came to stay with me a couple hours last week while her mom ran errands. She's 2 1/2 and was squealing with delight when she got out of the car to see Grandma, (me). Moments like that are priceless.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Yep, priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    I am happiest when all 6 of the kids are home with their families. It's all about family with me. My youngest granddaughter came to stay with me a couple hours last week while her mom ran errands. She's 2 1/2 and was squealing with delight when she got out of the car to see Grandma, (me). Moments like that are priceless.

Blog Entries
    i am overjoyed that my #7 grandchild was born this morning at 4:13 at over 5 pounds because he was only at 32 weeks gestation . he's in an incubator but should be out soon.
    Name:  2015 03 04 full length s.JPG
Views: 1060
Size:  52.7 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i am overjoyed that my #7 grandchild was born this morning at 4:13 at over 5 pounds because he was only at 32 weeks gestation . he's in an incubator but should be out soon.
    QuiltnNan, Joy, indeed!

I think we all feel the same way. Our families bring us joy. Our hearing children playing. Birdsong, the smell of freshly mown grass....grandbabies....

The joy and loves of our lives can't ever be replaced, and never forgotten, where as some of the things we've stressed over often (not always) disappear from our memory.

Words of wisdom, Cathywv!

Small stuff.....I try and find one joyful/beautiful moment in every day....keeps me balanced and keeps me going.

I had a joy moment today at my granddaughters school skit. When she saw me she came running and gave me a great big hug. She always has a smile on her face that lights up the room. When I was ready to go another hug was received.
    Pat in MN

Lots of things bring me joy! Today is was my big fuzzy buddy who somehow knew I needed some attention laid down next to me and put his paw on my arm , and then rested his fuzzy face on my shoulder.

Blog Entries
    I find my greatest pleasure in the real everyday things that most people are to busy to see.

The sunrise on my way to work
    watching bathing birds
    turkeys taking dust baths in the drive way and going to roost in the trees at night
    someone holding a child's hand in a gentle, unrushed way
    the first spring peepers and poly wogs
    friends visiting and doing nothing together
    any rescued animal

You may or may not see the awesome in these simple daily things. There are many more I could list. I wake up grateful for a new day and am grateful at the end for having had it. And yes, these things do bring a lump to my throat.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Now, that is definitely a joyous sight!!

Blog Entries
    My primary joy today is the fact that my best friend, love, and husband celebrated our 43rd anniversary yesterday!!
    On the way home from some shopping and a simple dinner out, we received congrat calls from our two joys....DD and DGS!

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    I find my greatest pleasure in the real everyday things that most people are to busy to see.

The sunrise on my way to work
    watching bathing birds
    turkeys taking dust baths in the drive way and going to roost in the trees at night
    someone holding a child's hand in a gentle, unrushed way
    the first spring peepers and poly wogs
    friends visiting and doing nothing together
    any rescued animal

You may or may not see the awesome in these simple daily things. There are many more I could list. I wake up grateful for a new day and am grateful at the end for having had it. And yes, these things do bring a lump to my throat.
    peace
    I do see the awesome in these daily things, ube. I was once unloading a truckload of freshly cut firewood to heat our cabin for the winter. I just happened to look up and, so close that I could actually see the outline of each feather, was a bald eagle. It so took my breath away that my knees turned to jelly and I had to abruptly sit down. A one of a kind moment.

Besides my family, I'd say that wildlife and wild natural scenery bring me joy. Classical music, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    My primary joy today is the fact that my best friend, love, and husband celebrated our 43rd anniversary yesterday!!
    On the way home from some shopping and a simple dinner out, we received congrat calls from our two joys....DD and DGS!
    Congratulations, nanacc. Truly a reason to be full of joy.

Congratulations! He is beautiful! I am so glad he already weighs 5 lbs and pray he will be going home soon.
    Anna Quilts

I can so relate to this. I live in Colorado and drive to work each day over the Cherry creek dam road. Thru the year, I get to see deer. But at this time of the year I get to see a pair of coyotes, sometimes out on the ice, and my absolute favorite is the Eagles. I have watched them fly over the dam. I have seen up to 6 of them perched in the trees in the mornings. I have watched one dive for a fish in the water, and just last week there were about three on the ice, and it looked like 2 of them were "play" sparring. There is just something about the sunlight reflecting off of those white heads. The only thing that has given me as much joy and awe is when we went to Hawaii and saw the whales in the ocean.
    Beyond that, my family with all of their idiosyncrasies give me the greatest joy. Especially when my grandson Noah looks at me and says
    "Ha, you're so funny yia yia!

Happy day!
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

The things that bring me joy are all the things mentioned here, my family, my pets, a beautiful sunny day, listening to birds singing, etc... I cannot describe the feelings these bring.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Susan, I remember standing at my kitchen sink doing dishes and seeing an eagle swoop down to the river (the Roaring Fork) it was down a slight ravine, a stones throw from our cabin, and come up with a trout in its talons. Another one of THOSE moments.

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
    The things that bring me joy are all the things mentioned here, my family, my pets, a beautiful sunny day, listening to birds singing, etc... I cannot describe the feelings these bring.
    Canmitch, I agree wholeheartedly with your tagline. Life without animals would be unbearable to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast