Chicken waterers

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Chicken waterers

We recently got some baby chicks. They are now six weeks old and our only problem has been finding the right type of waterer. First one was metal type and too low so many shavings ended up in water. Also, water level in metal one never seemed right. Even raising it a bit didn't help with shavings and poop in water so we got a plastic one with legs. This works except that when water level gets very low, it tips when you lift it and you spill water in coop. Has anyone got any ideas?? We are considering just using buckets. Has anyone tried that?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 AM

I don't have chickens but do cater to birds. Not long ago, I was looking at waterers, on Amazon.com, and ran across quite a few chicken waterers. There were lots of feedback reviews, of the different types. Maybe you can get some ideas from there.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wildernessties View Post
We recently got some baby chicks. They are now six weeks old and our only problem has been finding the right type of waterer. First one was metal type and too low so many shavings ended up in water. Also, water level in metal one never seemed right. Even raising it a bit didn't help with shavings and poop in water so we got a plastic one with legs. This works except that when water level gets very low, it tips when you lift it and you spill water in coop. Has anyone got any ideas?? We are considering just using buckets. Has anyone tried that?
you don't want to use a bucket, they will drown in them.!!!!!!! I have had baby chicks, that mess is just the nature of the little beast. Very very messie little things. Just put a block or something under the metal one and get it off the floor a little to keep the shavings out of it . You can't do anything about keeping the poop out. We used to hang our feeders from the top to keep them off the floor. but that is only after they get bigger. Good luck Been there done that and sure glad I don't any more........Darla
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 PM

I like the plastic lids/waterers that fit on fruit jars and turn over for waterers for small chicks. We placed them on round landscape stones and the chips did not get into the water as much. Did change the jars out twice a day and washed the jars to protect the chicks from germs.

A 'few' chicks, less than 25 or more than 25? I prefer less than 25 in our 'nursery' stock tank, then they grow up after 4-6 weeks to go into the A frame chicken tractor outside on the grass, with a metal waterer with a 'float' in it. If its not level, it will leak out water. The old hens, guineas, and ducks drink out of a black feed pan (used for horses) and a small child's wadding pool. Plastic ones did not work out for us.

Engineering progress has developed a steel nibble at the base of a bucket for a big flock to use as well as penned chicks in a cage for FFA or 4-H projects. McMurray Hatchery, Webster City, Iowa has the product you can look at ans see what you think.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate you taking the time to help. Our "few" is 15 which was the minimum number we could order.