Childhood memories??

Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Being at my Grandmas when she had her Sewing Bee at her house & listening to her & her pals talking while they quilted. That was such fun. Sometimes I would sit under the quilt frame and they would forget I was there. I heard some really interesting conversations. LOL

Another memory would be when we would get together with the neighbors or a few of my Aunts, Uncles & Cousins & make homemade icecream and everyone sat outside and visited for hours. That was so much fun.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 AM

I absolutely cannot wait to be a Gramma. (or Ya-ya so I am told by my Daughter)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Watching Mutual of Omaha Wild World of Animals on Sunday with home made pizza Dad would make.

The good memories are mixed in with the bad, I try to just remember only the good.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 PM

Another one was at Christmas Eve when the whole family would gather at my Grandma's for food and exchange of gifts and singing carols. Then there would come a knock at the door and there would be standing Santa Claus.....he would come in and talk to all the kids and give us candy. He would leave and a little while later my uncle from Roanoke ( an hour away) would show up (guess who Santa was.....lol) and the fireworks would begin. We would all have our noses pressed against the windows watching.....Soon we would go home and go to sleep to wait for Santa to come. We would get up around 5AM and the celebration would start all over again....down to my Uncle's house for breakfast and opening more presents....
Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 AM

My 2 sisters and I were always making these no bake chocolate cookies., they're made on top of stove in a frying pan.

So one day dad walks into the kitchen, sees what we're doing, and says "Are you girls making that garbage again"?

We thought it was sooo funny that someone would call something so good "garbage" that we laughed and laughed and laughed for what seemed like hours.

Even now, we all still call that recipe "garbage".
Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 AM
tmg

I am happy to read so many good post about happy childhoods. I don't have any not even one. My father abused me as a child. I'm not going to say the things he had done to me but if it happened today he would not see the light of day. All I can do is learn from it and not do the same things to my own children.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by tmg
I am happy to read so many good post about happy childhoods. I don't have any not even one. My father abused me as a child. I'm not going to say the things he had done to me but if it happened today he would not see the light of day. All I can do is learn from it and not do the same things to my own children.
I know how you feel. As you grow older you start making your own memories. If it's a walk in the park with your kids, or grand babies, or just walking by your self. Helping others in need or what ever makes you feel good. I think that what happened to us makes us appreciate life's little pleasures more...hugs!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM

Deal with your past and forgive those who have hurt you for yourself (forgiving is taking back the power in your life). Then look forward and forget the past. Make today and the rest of your days the very best they can be. Living well is the best revenge. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:46 PM

When I was about 9 my sister 7 every sunday we visited my grandmas. It was a hot summer and everyone was outside. Grandma bought us these toys. I can't remember what it was called but I'll describe... a ring with a long rope with a ball on the end... you put it on your ankle twirl it around and your other foot jumps over it. Up and down the street we went. There are so many. Does any one remember the click clacks... the ball were glass. These things were hard to use at first. Because they were so heavy! I'm feeling really old now!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by susie0808
Does any one remember the click clacks... the ball were glass. These things were hard to use at first. Because they were so heavy! I'm feeling really old now!
They were big when I was in 6th grade, but they were made illegal before I could get some myself.