Christmas Dinner

Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 PM

We have a traditional Turkey Dinner on Christmas day. Roasted Turkey with sage and sausage stuffing, mashed potatos with pan gravey, fresh cranberry sauce, honey glazed carrots, summer sweet peas, sweet potato casserole, warm diner rolls, and a green leaf lettuce salad with apple and pecans. Dessert is homemade steamed carrot pudding with vanilla ice cream and brown sugar rum sauce. Not to mention the homemade cookies, squares and confections that sit under everyones nose all day.
Christmas eve is another story, we have a pot luck drop in that can range from seafood to shwarma.
The best part for me is the turkey sandwhich for boxing day lunch!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 PM

We have the traditional Turkey dinner too, sometimes with ham. My family starts to frown if I even mention changing the menu. Honestly, our menu hasn't changed in 33 years!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 PM

We are changing traditional overstuffed to controled enjoyment...meaning we are not haveing stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams, etc.... all high carbs. We had a scaled down version Thanksgiving and it was nice to not be miserable leaving the table... Haven't decided on Christmas meal...but it will be less. Love the idea of the Jewish potatoe cakes (can't remember how to spell it)
Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 PM

For the past 15 years or so our Christmas dinner has been built around a spiral ham. It began when then DIL asked me to make a ham as her mother kept a kosher kitchen and she yearned to have a ham dinner. DIL is no longer in our family but she did start a tradtion for us. Usual sides are mashed potatoes, yams, corn casserole with lots of fruit, nuts and home made goodies after dinner.

Looking for new sides to add, especially one with broccoli or green beans. We're tired of the broccoli and rice casserole and the traditional green bean one with those canned dried onions on top.

Not cooking this year, going to DS#1's on Christmas Eve and DS#2's on Christmas Day. Going to miss having the leftover ham for get togethers we have during the week between Christmas and New Years, and saving the ham bone for a big pot of spilt pea soup some time in January or February.

May in Jersey
Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Power Poster

We have roast turkey, but always with roast potatoes too, then there are the stuffings, sausage meat, parsly and thyme, mixed rice (with bacon, mushroom & onion) and pureed chestnuts. (only the sausage meat goes in the neck of the bird, for easy carving). Then there are pigs in blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon, sprouts and broccoli, finishing with a rich gravy.
We aren't traditional Christmas pudding eaters except for my brother, and he has a little one of his own, so this year I am going to make Meringue layers with a lemon filling, and there will be a fresh fruit salad as an alternative.
The turkey and all the stuffings are great as left overs for the next day with bubble and squeak (fried greens and left over roasties) or with a mixed salad. And for a snack, my personal favourite is a sliced cold turkey sandwich with thin slices of satsuma. (think duck and orange, but different)

Our meal might seem heavy, but don't forget, we don't have Thanksgiving, so we go to town with this meal instead.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:15 AM

Prime rib, rosted potatoes, assperagus witha hoilenday sauce.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 AM

Mum lives in our basement apartment. She will be making up a big fancy Christmas morning breakfast of Tuscan eggs, homemade bread, and for dessert pears in a cinnamon raisin sauce.. YUM!!!!!!!!!

Not sure how the dinner/supper will go. I guess it depends if we are going to his parents for supper or home. If home, Mum once again is making up a nice cold plate Turkey dinner as she knows if we eat lunch time at his parents we are gonna be STUFFED!!... I have a turkey, but it looks like I won't need to cook it right away. I will bake a nice ham though. I have a few nice ham recipes to try out.

As for your question, I have a really nice broccoli/bacon/cheese baked side dish that is to DIE for!!!!!!!! I can certainly look for it if you are interested. PM me if you would like a copy of this recipe!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 AM

We will have baked ham, au gratin potatoes or potato salad, devilled eggs, rolls, applesauce cake. Some kind of tossed salad.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 AM

Ya'll are making me hungry! Everything sounds so good. I saw this recipe recently and I thought it was a nice change on the usual mac 'n cheese: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html It seems a little figure friendlier too since there is no bechamel sauce. More room for cookies!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Dix

have not seen this particlar dish on the thread. please let me share my oldest favorite one.
Cranberry salad
1 pack. cranberries ground
1 cup of sugar
mix and chill overnight, awhile before serving add
1 cup pecans
1 cup tiny marshmallows
1 cup seedless grapes cut in half
1 cup Cool Whip
I usually add 1/2 cup more of stuff, because it is so good left over