Christmas houses

Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 AM

I have a small collection of the Department 56 "New England Village" pieces. I chose the New England village because it is very much like the Newfoundland outports - coastal fishing theme, etc.. I set it up on a half table that I have and use fake snow and cotton batting on top of piled-up books to make hills.

I visited a friend of a friend one Christmas and she had her village pieces on a shelf that ran all the way around the room about 1 1/2 feet below ceiling level.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-137016.jpe   attachment-137017.jpe   attachment-137018.jpe  
Old 12-02-2010, 05:09 AM

So pretty, makes me almost want to do mine again. Almost!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:13 AM

My Honey built a special table for the front porch. I display them there....
Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Yourhouses are displayedso pretty! I just have alot of the tiny ones.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 AM

If you really don't want to put them out, send them home with GS and he can have them at his house. The magic is wonderful with the little kids, so I bet if you started getting them out and letting him help, the magic would rub off on you too. I hope so!! I have my pown little magic at Xmas. The first Xmas after my mom died, as I was getting out wrapping paper, bows etc., I noticed a gift tag at ther bottom of the box. When I turned it over, it was from my Mom. It said, Merry Christmas Carol, I love you, MOm. I felt that it was a sign that I should carry on for my little ones. That is what she did, her mom was buried two days before Xmas. I keep that gift tag with wrappings all the time, and I never know where in the box it will be, but each year I get to "hear" mom say it one more time. My last remaining sibling died two months ago, and some of the happiness feels lacking right now, but my grown children and grands will expect everything to be as usual here, so I'll do my best for them.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM

Let your grandson help you. Use his help and ideas,they may not be the perfect arrangment. But the healing you will receive will be powerful.
Children have a way to break thur barriers of heartache.
See the village thur his eyes.

'Merry Christmas'

I lost my mother a week after Christmas, also it was 2 weeks after her birthday. Love you and I understand.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM

My mom died in 2008. I miss her, that's natural. I know that my mom would be upset if I lived the rest of my life mourning her death. She would want me celebrating life's special, times like Christmas. I would also want my kids to be happy when I'm gone. How have you displayed your houses in the past? Maybe only put a few out and not your whole collection. I hope you have a great Christmas with your family.(Everyone else too!)
Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 AM

These are beautiful. I just have so many from churches, houses, light houses, stores, libraries, bookstores, restaurants, etc. I have tin popcorn cans full of the accessories. I use mirrors for ponds for my ice skaters, micro and match box cars, little trees, light posts, carolers, you name it I have it. I have not bought but one this year and I gave it to Nick to start him a collection.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 AM

I have some, not nearly as many as you. I haven't put mine out the last couple years..no room!! Send some home with GS and let him decorate. Just put a select few out at your place, you can change it up every year.

My Dad died on Christmas morning in 2004. He was 90. He was sick. It was time for him to go. I look at it as a wonderful gift for him, to be out of pain and with my mom and all those who went before him. It was hard for my siblings and me, but we carried on our celebrations that day. We especially remember our parents every Christmas (Mom died in early January 16 yrs earlier) and we feel their presence at our celebration..that's how they want it. We tell stories to our children and grandchildren and teach them the traditions Mom and Dad taught us.

I hope you find peace this season. Allow yourself to take joy in celebration with your grandson.

Mary
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 AM

I have a large collection of those too. My aunt used to put up a huge display every year and she gave me my first house when I was in college. That started a slew of houses and buildings from friends and family.

I started small and each year, I would get more and more. My husband got tired of getting them out each year, but he always liked the look on the kids' faces when the village was all lit up.

This year, I am only pulling out a couple of my favorites. My dh is deployed and it is too much work for me to do on my own.