Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clean windows

Clean windows

In 50+ years, I've tried every way there is. My favorite is a cloth diaper ( prefolded ) and a foam spray for glass. Makes the job go rather quickly.

Power Poster
    I use Windex and a micro fiber cloth on the inside. Outside the house my husband uses a hose and a squeegee on an extended pole.

i boil rain water and use vinegar oh they look nice when i am done

Windows are washed-down on the outside with a mild solution of ammonia and water, then properly cleaned using an old cloth diaper (leftovers from when my kids were little), and foaming window cleaner. Diapers and foaming window cleaner for inside as well.
    If evaporated milk is evaporated, why is there milk in the can?

Why is there an expiry date on sour cream? Does it turn fresh after the expiry date?

Tranum. Were you a cloth diaper using mom?

Why is there an expiry date on sour cream? Does it turn fresh after the expiry date?

Quote Originally Posted by Endora View Post
    Tranum. Were you a cloth diaper using mom?
    yes and never minded it a bit, even with two in diapers for a while. Also hung them outside when possible. I only had 1 flat cloth diaper left ( out of 4 dozen ) and I was hoarding it for windows when I stumbled on a box of 8 prefolds at a garage sale for $1.00. Yippee ! I did share with my son in law because he's the window washer at their house and he's a believer now.

Blog Entries
    the cloth diapers at Walmart are the best I found. some of the others at so thin, and do nothing. DON'T get Target's. They are the worst on the market. very thin, and they shrunk terribly.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    yes and never minded it a bit, even with two in diapers for a while. Also hung them outside when possible. I only had 1 flat cloth diaper left ( out of 4 dozen ) and I was hoarding it for windows when I stumbled on a box of 8 prefolds at a garage sale for $1.00. Yippee ! I did share with my son in law because he's the window washer at their house and he's a believer now.
    I never minded it either, and like yourself, I also had two in diapers on occasion, and... I also line-dried the diapers, too. Pin-pricks were my only pet-peeve when it came to cloth diapering.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    the cloth diapers at Walmart are the best I found. some of the others at so thin, and do nothing. DON'T get Target's. They are the worst on the market. very thin, and they shrunk terribly.
    Good advice. Thanks, Lynnie. I'm going to have a check the next time I'm at WM shopping.

Should add, I didn't enjoy lugging the diaper pail down and up the basement stairs on laundry day!

Me too! I had two in cloth diapers at the same time. Probably because Pampers weren't invented yet. I hung them outside and didn't mind at all. Loved seeing them flap in the breeze.

I use windex and a microfiber cloth inside. Had someone come and clean the outsides. WE are on a hill so couldn't reach even the downstairs ones let alone the upstairs ones. Money well spent!!
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Vinegar, a drop of dish soap and water, squeegee. Windows sparkle.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Me too! I had two in cloth diapers at the same time. Probably because Pampers weren't invented yet. I hung them outside and didn't mind at all. Loved seeing them flap in the breeze.

I use windex and a microfiber cloth inside. Had someone come and clean the outsides. WE are on a hill so couldn't reach even the downstairs ones let alone the upstairs ones. Money well spent!!
    I'm thinking about having someone come and do mine. We have a two story house and I'm not up for climbing up a ladder and I really don't want my husband doing it either. Plus we have double paned windows that are a pain to clean. I think it would be money well spent
    Patrice S

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I live on a gravel--make that limestone dust most of the year, and limestone mud the rest of it!. So washing windows outside is often futile effort! I do wash in spring and fall-both in and out. Luckily when we built the house, we had those kind that fold into the house on the windows you can't stand on flat ground and reach easily.

Blog Entries
    ha, ha. i watched Outnumbered about a young couple with six kids. five were quints. she keeps telling everyone how many diapers she uses and all the boxes of diapers they must buy. Get cloth ones and wash them. then you'd have dust wipes galore left over!! I still have some very thin ones somewhere. i polish my furniture with those.

We had new windows put in probably 30 years ago that open to the inside so is easy to wash the outside of the window, as well as the inside. A great investment!

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    ha, ha. i watched Outnumbered about a young couple with six kids. five were quints. she keeps telling everyone how many diapers she uses and all the boxes of diapers they must buy. Get cloth ones and wash them. then you'd have dust wipes galore left over!! I still have some very thin ones somewhere. i polish my furniture with those.
    I 100% agree! As for cleaning and polishing cloths, I have a few diapers I use to polish furniture with, too. Old diapers make for dust-free cloths. 30 plus years old and still going strong! As I told one neighbour, try that with a disposable diaper.
    Last edited by Endora; 07-12-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
    We had new windows put in probably 30 years ago that open to the inside so is easy to wash the outside of the window, as well as the inside. A great investment!
    We have friends with that style of window. I am so envious of you!

nativetexan - the name of the show is: Outdaughtered. They have the only set of all girl quintuplets in the country. I watch the show every time it is on. If I were them I would use disposable diapers too. Taking care of the 5 babies and the older girl would not leave time to wash and hang out diapers.

I had to use cloth diapers for our three kids, because there were no disposables. Cloth diapers do not absorb, even doubled as much as the cheap disposables.

I bought used diapers to clean my eye glasses. My youngest is 48.

For windows and car windows I pour some window cleaner in a pail, dip a rag in, wring out and dry with an old hand towel.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Ahh, cloth diapers! Had two in them, lived in the country so used a washline. Some days the wind blew so much I could hang a long row and have the first ones dry by the time I was finished hanging the rest. Good old days.

I went to a home party and purchased a set of "window cloths". The first cloth has imbedded silver in the fibers. All I do is wet that cloth with warm water and wash the window - then dry with the other cloth. I did not believe it would work, but after I used them - I was sold on them. I have given them as gifts to many friends who have been just as amazed as I was. No more chemicals or paper towels. I'm a NEW WOMAN. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    nativetexan - the name of the show is: Outdaughtered. They have the only set of all girl quintuplets in the country. I watch the show every time it is on. If I were them I would use disposable diapers too. Taking care of the 5 babies and the older girl would not leave time to wash and hang out diapers.

I had to use cloth diapers for our three kids, because there were no disposables. Cloth diapers do not absorb, even doubled as much as the cheap disposables.

I bought used diapers to clean my eye glasses. My youngest is 48.

For windows and car windows I pour some window cleaner in a pail, dip a rag in, wring out and dry with an old hand towel.
    I used cloth diapers, the plain old-fashioned flat kind for all of my children, and I thought they worked wonderfully. I always double diapered and never had a problem with absorbency.

I had cloth diapers left from when the kids were little -- we used them for dust cloths and windows. Since we moved I can't find them so I use the yellow microfiber things from Costco and they work ok with the foaming window cleaner.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I had cloth diapers left from when the kids were little -- we used them for dust cloths and windows. Since we moved I can't find them so I use the yellow microfiber things from Costco and they work ok with the foaming window cleaner.
    I love microfiber towels, but do notice loose micro fibers are always left behind whenever I dry or polish a smooth surface.

I use Karcher window washer, fast and non streak and I also use for mirrored wardrobes and shower stall. I have two German Shepherds who like nose art and a two year only grandaughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast