Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cleaning silk flowers

Blog Entries
    I use Hair Spray, buy the cheap kind and spray away. Come out looking like new.
    TxCaRose

Blog Entries
    I have a rather large basket with greenery in it and I just set the whole thing in the tub and spray. Let sit a while to drip dry then wipe off the bottom of basket. I use silk flowers in flower arrangement on graves all the time. They're out in sun/wind/storms and seem to do ok for at least 6 months or more. So, a little gentle shower in the tub couldn't hurt them any more than that.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Our daughter gave me a bottle of concentrated liquid which you put a small amount into a spray bottle and dilute. Shake well, and spray on the flowers and foliage. I just do it in the kitchen sink, let drip dry and voila! put back where you had displayed them.
    If you have the flowers in a nice vase, I take them out and save my vase the chance the soapy water will mar it.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I do mine like Lori S. If they're really forty I spray them with a diluted cleaner, then rinse. I do it outside in the summer time so I can spray all the surfaces.
    I have cleaned all kinds of artificial flowers the way Lori S. does, usually without adverse effects. I also try to do it in the summer because I can stand in the grass and water some of the spots the sprinkler system misses at the same time I'm cleaning the flowers. froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    I clean 20 houses in my spare time to send children to college so I use Windex, just spray dry plants leave a few minutes and use the kitchen faucet to wash off. Works great and never had any fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I put mine in the shower ( warm water and low pressure) about every 6 months... I was a bit scared at first but got tired of trying to dust each leaf and petal. Too my surprise and delight that came out like new!
    I concur! I have taken the garden hose to them too. No big deal. I do my mini blinds the same way.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Billi View Post
    I was always told never use water to clean silk plants and flowers. I put mine in a paper bag with course salt and shake it up it knocks the dust and cobwebs off. I then shake them off outside.
    ditto…….really cleans them good

Power Poster
    I do a light spray of water on them and then let them dry outside in the shade...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2