Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cloth diapers versus paper diapers >

Cloth diapers versus paper diapers

Cloth diapers versus paper diapers

Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 PM

I tried cloth for about a month with my 1st DD. Her bottom stayed red and sore the whole time, even though I was changing them almost every time she was wet. Stayed with disposables after that and with my other 2 babies. I did use the cloth training pants w/extra padding in the middle, instead of Pull-ups, they also aid in training since the child can feel the wettness.

You could also do the math on homemade sanitary pads vs. disposable. Some women make them because of sensitivies. I'm glad I don't need to, don't think I'd want to wash that stuff out. Kinda gross, you know?!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:02 PM

talking about cloth at home and disposables when out, reminds me of my SIL, who in the 1960's traveled by CAR from MA to AZ with a little one in diapers. And they did NOT have disposables then!! Can't even imagine it!!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM

i made fitted diapers for my youngest, ages 20 and 23 out of what was then a novelty pattern. i noticed recently that it has become the in-thing for those doing cloth diapers. you can buy the fabric that acts like a rubber pant and the diaper flannel from fabric Depot so it must be more mainstream now. it is possible to buy the gauze diaper fabric though most stores only carry the diaper flannel if they carry anything
Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I used cloth diapers on my first baby. What a hassle! I had to rinse twice, use the hottest water, and the expensive (back then) sensitive detergent. The diaper pail was always stinky no matter how much I pre rinsed. And I was a stay at home mom and all my time was spent laundering diapers. Why any working mom would choose spending time doing laundry every evening instead of being with her baby is mind boggling to me. Here the day cares will use cloth diapers but they are put in a big ziplock and stuck back in the diaper bag, not pre rinsed. Imagine opening that bag up every evening. Some things sound really nice and great and all saving the earth but the reality of doing it is not so nice or great.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:35 PM

When I was a young mom and DH was on a teacher's salary, I used cloth diapers for all 3 of my babies. Now I am the grandmother to my DGD who is 20 mos. old. I watch the baby about 50 hours per week and some over-nights when the parents are both traveling for work. They buy disposable diapers by the huge box and send them to me. I can tell you my DGD's bottom is just perfect...no diaper rash like my babies sometimes had. No "blow-outs" thank goodness, and no soggy pants in the AM because we use the heavier night-time disposables. Yes they are expensive, but I am a happy Mimi! I guess it's personal choice and whether the cost is worth it to you. I do, however, feel guilty about all those diapers going into a landfill.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM

I don't know what I did wrong but my kids sure had diaper rash when they were in cloth diapers. At that time that was all we had and the rubber pants! Oh, what a mess! And the diaper pail smell, as someone else said, I could never get rid of it. With our first baby we had to go to the laundramat, no washing machine.
The only problem I see with the disposables is the landfil issue. Too bad someone can't come up with a good solution for that. BTW, my youngest grandson's pampers have a line on the front that changes color when wet, so helps with knowing when to change. I have great respect for the new moms who can use the cloth diapers, though. If you really want to get into cost effectiveness and health, look at formula vs breast feeding.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever been to the landfill in your area? You won't see any disposable diapers, you see fast food containers, foam coffee cups, and plastic straws by the thousands.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:24 PM

As a matter of fact, BellaBoo -- I do have a landfill near me and I DO see diapers. A lot of them are enclosed in the plastic bags, but I DO see them!!! The food containers and foam coffee cups are a biodegradable product and will disappear --- not o with sdiapers....plastic straws are another story
Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM

When my children were babies, I had no choice but to use cloth diapers as they were very allergic to the chemicals in the paper diapers. We saved lots of money too.

Bearisgray: The long rectangular diapers are what my Mom sent me when my son was born, thankfully I had an older friend to show me how to fold them. I have 1 of those diapers left and use it for a pressing cloth when I need to use iron-on interfacing. My kids are 32 and 25.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM

30 years ago when our DS was born, I intended to use cloth diapers...tried and absolutely hated the mess of them. Needless to say, I switched to paper after a short time. My first grandbaby is due on July 29. As a grandma, I intend to purchase a bag of paper diapers when I make my weekly grocery shopping trip. Just my way of 'helping out'.