Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cloth diapers versus paper diapers >

Cloth diapers versus paper diapers

Cloth diapers versus paper diapers

Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cbpirate View Post
I also used cloth and had only a washer. it was hard in the winter, but i used freeze dried diapers all the time . it is interesting what you can do when you have to.
I tied a string between 2 chairs and dried several at once in front of the oven.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I tied a string between 2 chairs and dried several at once in front of the oven.
Brilliant. That's what I call being resourceful.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:56 AM

My Mom told us that out of 5 kids only my youngest brother wore Pampers. I come from a family of 11 kids (4 are from my Dad's first marriage, 2 from my Mom's first marriage).

She had a bunch of cloth diapers left (unused ones) from my younger sister she used them as "batting" in a quilt she made for my Gram. It was a crazy quilt made from clothes we had outgrown. Each square was the size of the diaper and hand quilted then when she had enough she hand sewed them all together. It was a king size quilt, but Gram had a queen size so it hung nicely to the floor.

Dad took the clean used ones out to his workshop. And used them for either staining rags or grease rags when my older brothers came over to work on vehicles.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
My Mom told us that out of 5 kids only my youngest brother wore Pampers. I come from a family of 11 kids (4 are from my Dad's first marriage, 2 from my Mom's first marriage).

She had a bunch of cloth diapers left (unused ones) from my younger sister she used them as "batting" in a quilt she made for my Gram. It was a crazy quilt made from clothes we had outgrown. Each square was the size of the diaper and hand quilted then when she had enough she hand sewed them all together. It was a king size quilt, but Gram had a queen size so it hung nicely to the floor.

Dad took the clean used ones out to his workshop. And used them for either staining rags or grease rags when my older brothers came over to work on vehicles.
Leftover cloth diapers make for the best ever cleaning and polishing cloths. I used my kids old ones to wash windows and dust furniture, and my oldest sister used her kids as tea-towels.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

I'm still using a couple of them.....more than 40 years later. Try THAT with a disposable!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:40 AM

I'm still using a couple of them.....more than 40 years later. Try THAT with a disposable!
So glad you mentioned this. I have a few leftover that have been sitting at the bottom of my rag-bag that I'm going to pull out, stack under my kitchen sink cupboard and start using. Mine are 30 years old.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Did you keep yours folded and stacked when your kids were little, or did you keep them in a laundry basket and fold them as you needed them?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

the tin gauze ones i still have some and use as dust cloths. We were given a diaper service when our son was born, so cloth diapers were it for a long time. with plastic over pants though.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
the tin gauze ones i still have some and use as dust cloths. We were given a diaper service when our son was born, so cloth diapers were it for a long time. with plastic over pants though.
I still think the old-fashioned way is king.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
ok, quess I may be the oldest here.....no one else seems to remember hemming fabric to make diapers.....and it was easy for me because I had an electric sewing machine.

disposable may not be all that new...American Indians used the fluff inside the catail plants
I used cloth - just sewn from 25" x WOF cotton flannelette - on all my kids. Oldest is 40 and youngest 27. DD used cloth on her first till she wa toilet trained but had to use disposable at the day care. For her second they used cloth till he started in daycare too. Did save them a pile of money. Most moms look at you like you have two heads when you suggest they might use cloth at least for a little while. Cloth seldom allowed blowouts and the old disposable were awful for that. I also used a wraparound diaper cover (vinyl/plastic?) that was tucked and then tied on but they don't seem to be available anymore. Used to have to have a cover over them once little one started grabbing the ties and undoing them but really liked the ease of use. Just washed with the diapers. Old washing machine held out for all the kids - used about 13 dozen diapers that needed folding over the years. Never did like the prefolded ones.