Clothesline memories!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM

What a cute clothespin bag. I need to make a new one, mine is showing wear.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM

I'm enjoying all these good memories. Getting off the subject some, but does anyone remember the ice man, how he delivered big pieces of ice to the house. We never had an electric frig then, only an ice box. He would give us chunks of ice to eat. Also, do you remember how we had to color the oleo and mix it, came with a packet of yellow powder. My children got a kick out of it when I told them about it.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
I'm enjoying all these good memories. Getting off the subject some, but does anyone remember the ice man, how he delivered big pieces of ice to the house. We never had an electric frig then, only an ice box. He would give us chunks of ice to eat. Also, do you remember how we had to color the oleo and mix it, came with a packet of yellow powder. My children got a kick out of it when I told them about it.
Remember both. Still do no like oleo because of the way it looked before you colored it. Grew up on homemade butter. I still call the frig an ice box once in a while, my kids laugh at me.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM

I remember hanging clothes for my mother during summer vacation weeks. It was so hot that when the basket was empty, I could take down and fold the previous batch. They were dry already, except for socks which were always matched and hung by pairs. My daughter in Maine still hangs all of her laundry, but we are not allowed to have clotheslines were I live with my other daughter. Sure wish I had one to hang quilts for pictures.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM

My MIL had 10 boys and 1 girl. I remember my SIL telling me that she had to scrub clothes on the scrub board. Her girlfriend would come over and ask if she could play, she said she couldn't because she had to wash clothes. Her friend asked if she could help her so that they could visit. Good friend huh!

She would bake cakes, not one or two, but quite a few at one time in a brick oven. She also made all the boys underwear. She worked hard but never complained, that's the way it was then. The boys had their chores to do as well, they owned a dairy.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM

My MIL had 10 boys and 1 girl. I remember my SIL telling me that she had to scrub clothes on the scrub board. Her girlfriend would come over and ask if she could play, she said she couldn't because she had to wash clothes. Her friend asked if she could help her so that they could visit. Good friend huh!

She would bake cakes, not one or two, but quite a few at one time in a brick oven. She also made all the boys underwear. She worked hard but never complained, that's the way it was then. The boys had their chores to do as well, they owned a dairy.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

I remember all of that. I stopped hanging out sheets, the last of what I hung outside, when I started working outside the home, 23 yr.s ago. Stopped hanging sheets when I had to re-wash them because the birds messed on them.

I love my automatic washer and dryer, would not be without them ever again.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
I remeber the yellow powder to color the butter my grandmother used to make. And she used to make cottage cheese by hanging a bag and letting it drip out. And we used to lay the sheets out in the field to dry flat and they would get so nice and white. What a great thing you started Ditter :thumbup: :lol: