Clothesline memories!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Ahh the sweet smell of sheets fresh from the line! Sure wish I had one.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 AM

I still hang on the line when I can need to put up new ones the old one stretched to much!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 AM

Yes I remember those days I still hang out my sheets
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 AM

OMGosh! I remember a FULL DAY of washing and hanging clothes every week. We had a 11 kids in our family (plus mom and dad so that makes 13). We had a LOT of clothes to wash in our old wringer washer. Brings back some memories!!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 AM

I still hang my clothes on the line. Ever since my aunt's dryer caught on fire, I haven't much cared for them.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Yes, I remember--and I still do not use a dryer!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Our clothes are hung on the line. We have a nice big fenced yard so my clothes don't offend the neighbors hahahahah....hubby does the laundry and he does the hanging just fine and then he puts them in the dryer for about 5 minutes and that's it. Look at all the energy we save.

I love my clothes, especially my bedding on the line in the fresh air and sun.

In my day, our whites and bedding were boiled and bleached in the sun. Clorax was not used and our clothes were as white as white can be......we lived in the tropics at the time.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Hello everyone! I loved reading about everyone's memories and that yes, some of us still hang out clothes. I am 54 but when I was very young my granny strung some old wire along the fence and while she hung out her laundry on Mondays, I hung out my laundry on Mondays. She had no running water in her house and I loved helping but now I think how hard of work that was! I complain because I have to carry my heavy baskets of clothes up from the basement and hang them out!

My husband and I try to live a lot like our grandparents did by having a huge garden and canning everything we can to raising and butchering our own meat each year. Little did we know that the way we have lived all these years is now coming back in style! I will hang my clothes out for most of the year but living in Iowa it doesn't happen very often in January and February but then I hang them in the basement and throw them in the dryer for just a few minutes to fluff them up. My 8 grandkids (all city kids) love coming to the farm and helping grandma hang up clothes, bake bread and cookies, gather the eggs, slop the hogs, play with the goat, dogs and cats , go for nature walks, fish in the pond and ride the horses. They get dirty here and don't want to sit in the house. I love giving them the same kind of memories I had growing up and sadly it is rare.

My daughter is a kindergarten teacher is a larger city and the kids wrote me a letter asking questions about the farm and I answered and sent pictures of all the animals and talked about what we do here. She said they thought that she grew up in a place better than Disneyland. Kind of breaks my heart we are so far away and they can't come for a field trip. Sorry, I guess I got a little OT from the clothesline and if my granny knew that I sometimes leave my clothespins out she would want to tan my hide! :o)
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM

sorry about the 2nd post all of a sudden my computer went crazy or as my husband says sometimes maybe I went crazy. love him to death been married to him for 51 years
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the sweet memories this brought back. My dear Mom always hung her clothes out to dry. In the winter, she would bring them in and hang them in the bathroom to finish drying. We had a gas furnace and the bathroom was the warmest room in the house. And nothing smelled as sweet as clean bed linens fresh from the clothesline. Even with dryer, Mom still hung out her clothes.