Commonly Misused Phrases

Old 11-19-2017, 01:14 AM

I love to read.....but when there is a misused word or phrase, it really irritates me. The same goes for spelling. There is such a thing in my area though, that we forgive others speaking habits, and we try to decipher what they are saying. That being said, there are still a few things that grate on my nerves, such as the words "acrost", and "unthaw" (for thaw, and I don't know if that is just a regional word or a local one).
Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 AM

I get less irritated about a person misspelling a word because sometimes it depends on where they grew up and what dialect they use. The one that bothers me more than anything is when someone says neither instead of either, like you can put this on neither side of the bed instead of either. I was taught growing up that neither meant "not" not you can have your choice but to day you hear it on TV all of the time, especially on decorating shows.

The other thing is I hate to have misspelled words in a book that I paid good money for. They should have the books proof read before publishing them.

I do try to use the spell check when ever I can.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:50 AM

Romanojg I remember 'neither/nor' and 'either/or' from school. I often wonder what is being taught in classrooms these days. Spelling and grammar do not seem to be on the curriculum.

The phrase that drives me crazy is 'I could care less'. No, the correct phrase is 'I couldn't care less' meaning I have no feelings about this issue. It is another phrase that I hear used incorrectly on TV and radio much too often.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Auto correct likes to "help" us out too at times. Sometimes I will write one thing and auto correct will be sure it's something else.
My church must have auto correct because words come up very 'odd'. On the overhead screen it showed meat and not meet, some words just pop up first and they do not catch them.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

All very interesting. One that applies to quilting is

Muslim vs. muslin. My very first quilting teacher kept saying Muslim.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Enjoyed this a lot. I am known in my family as the grammar police. I take that as a compliment even though I am pretty sure they do not mean it that way! I still hear my dad telling me to use anyway not anyways. He was not as tolerant as this article was, he wouldn’t use anyways ever, not even casually.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I get less irritated about a person misspelling a word because sometimes it depends on where they grew up and what dialect they use. The one that bothers me more than anything is when someone says neither instead of either, like you can put this on neither side of the bed instead of either. I was taught growing up that neither meant "not" not you can have your choice but to day you hear it on TV all of the time, especially on decorating shows.

The other thing is I hate to have misspelled words in a book that I paid good money for. They should have the books proof read before publishing them.

I do try to use the spell check when ever I can.
I find that annoying, too. I have been known to make corrections.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
. . .

I'm really grateful for the red zig-zaggy line that appears under a misspelled word, so I have a chance to try again before posting and embarrassing myself! LOL.

. . .

I also like the red zig-zaggy line that appears under words. I won't use auto-correct (when it's an option).

Bored/Board

I sometimes get bored with the topics on this board.

My husband will be sawing some boards for a project.

Boarders/Borders

The boarders at the inn complained about the borders on the quilts that were on their beds.

I wonder what our world would be like if there no borders between countries.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I once thought phonetic spelling would be a good idea - but then I started listening to people's various accents - and decided that might not work out well.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 AM

NZ. I was invited to a Mourning Party via text, yesterday. I texted back 'Mourning' although I knew it was a Christmas Party. The sender could not figure out how Christmas become Mourning in his text.

I may wear all black to the party.