Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Computer crisis re: quilting!!

Computer crisis re: quilting!!

This will probably be moved to some other topic heading as many of my posts are, but . . .

I was trying to organize my "favorites" on the computer and tried to delete a link I no longer needed. Instead, I deleted my entire "Quilting" folder. That included more than a dozen subfolders like FMQ, patterns, tutorials, ideas, color ideas, quilting tips, shopping, etc., etc. that it took YEARS to amass. This is so awful, I think my head will explode. I will have to start from scratch, but I mourn the sites I may never discover again. I know in the great course of world affairs this is inconsequential, but it is a massive loss to me and I am miserable.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Have you checked to make sure the folder isn't still in your recycle bin?

I hope this helps. Go to your recycle bin look for your file right click on it and click on restore this should work good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi.G View Post
    Have you checked to make sure the folder isn't still in your recycle bin?
    Exactly! Should be there until you manually empty it.

Name:  recycle.JPG
Views: 1401
Size:  17.9 KB
    Linda

If not, try restoring your computer to the previous day. That sometimes brings back.

shy
    If the other 2 things do not work..any computer tech or person who knows computers can get it back for u ..nothing is really ever completely gone from a computer..unless u run a deep cleaner app..it may cost u a service call..but worth it if u really want it back..

Blog Entries
    So sorry you had this problem - I'd be freaking out about now. Because I was afraid of this same thing happening to me we now back up all my quilt/sewing stuff on an external drive. Now I don't have to worry when my fingers get to racing along!! She is right - any computer tech should be able to restore your data for you. Good luck!!

Hopefully it is still in your recycle bin--it has saved me from myself several times!!!!

PLEASE tell us your progress. I haven't back up this computer yet but anxious to do so. It should be in your trash can unless you clean that out too. If all else fails, call the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they should be able to restore the files but it will cost you.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Yes -- all is well. THANK YOU so much to everyone who gave great suggestions. I never knew there was a recycle bin other than the one in Word. I found it and it worked!!!

Thank you again to all who took the time to give such good suggestions. If nothing else, this should teach me to read what the computer is asking me before I click on "yes."

Taxes today -- no quilting. boo hoo.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Power Poster
    I feel your pain. After acquiring a rather nasty virus on my computer, my DH had to rebuild my computer and I lost several precious files, although he had backed everything up for me. I'm still working on revising my e-mail and address folders, but I do a little at a time and I'll get it back to the way I want it. That's one nice thing about living with a retired computer engineer; even when he tells me how to build a clock when I ask him what time it is. He hates that description of himself, but I feel it is accurate, as that's how his "engineer brain" functions.

Blog Entries
    So glad that our "experts" could help you. What a wonderful Board!!

Blog Entries
    Time to back up those files onto a memory stick -- just in case! Glad you were able to recover them.
    Sue

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    If not, try restoring your computer to the previous day. That sometimes brings back.
    Restoring likely will not bring back files...the mantra has to be BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP....at least use a memory stick to back up critical files...

I lost EVERYTHING once about 10 years ago ... never again ... I bought an external hard drive and back it up every Friday ... and when I do lots of downloads, I back it up that day ...

It's time consuming but the alternative is worse!

I'm so glad you got all your files back!

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries

another tip

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    Yes -- all is well. THANK YOU so much to everyone who gave great suggestions. I never knew there was a recycle bin other than the one in Word. I found it and it worked!!!

Thank you again to all who took the time to give such good suggestions. If nothing else, this should teach me to read what the computer is asking me before I click on "yes."

Another tip...now that you have discovered the Recycle Bin, check it once in a while and empty what you REALLY wanted to throw out..

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Along this line, I have just had to replace my old laptop which was dead on arrival at the computer hospital. Took a week to research, to into to town to buy it, to leave it at the same hospital for a transfusion of info from the old laptop. But they were able to recover ALL my files, my desktop icons, my google bookmarks, and my favorites to the bookmark bar and set up all my accounts . Cost me a total of $96 from the first minute I walked in their door to the end; best money ever spent to relieve my stress about learning to use Windows 8.1!!
    Professional gurus can be your best help and investment.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post

Buy yourself an external storage like Passport, and save all your precious things to that.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

I have an external hard drive on my main PC, it came with really easy to use software that let me set up multiple backup schedules. Some folders I back up every single night, others are backed up weekly, then everything is backed up once a month.

It works so well I bought two more, one for DH's personal computer and another for our shared "media" computer where all our photo and music files are housed.

They're gotten to be SO cheap these days, there's really no reason not to get one. The peace of mind is worth it. I think I paid about $60 for each drive, and they're each a terabyte of data. That's enough room that each drive should be able to hold about 2 million photographs!

For our photos, I'm actually contemplating buying ANOTHER drive for that PC specifically, so I can swap the two external drives monthly and keep the other one off-site (like in my desk at work). That way if we ever have a house fire, I'll have a fairly recent backup of all our photos and not have lost all those irreplaceable images of people and pets that are long gone.

I can left click on a deleted field and have the restore option. It has saved me a lot of work and frustration.

All my files and photos are saved online using Carbonite I can access them from any computer, smart phone, or tablet. When I take a picture on my phone the photo is automatically is uploaded to Google and Amazon Cloud and DropBox. I have them saved in three clouds. I don't have to do anything but take pictures and not worry.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 03-18-2015 at 06:53 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My DH did this for me and I was able to get everything back. Then I put them on back up drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    if we ever have a house fire, I'll have a fairly recent backup of all our photos and not have lost all those irreplaceable images of people and pets that are long gone.
    My husband and I both use OneDrive, which is cloud storage. It backs up automatically and is linked to our cell phones. Any time I take a photo with my cell phone, it is automatically and immediately copied to the cloud, I do not need to do a single thing. Same goes for downloading photos onto my laptop from the big Canon camera - all automatic. If our house should burn down or computer explode, we just buy a new computer and sign in to our account, and it's all there. Same goes for my documents folder, which is where I put important household records, online receipts, quilt patterns, DH's expense reports, anything else I need to save. It's all automatic and is sooo easy.

I agree with mermaid. Hope you can retrieve it