Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Confused Giver Seeks Opinions >

Confused Giver Seeks Opinions

Confused Giver Seeks Opinions

Old 01-26-2011, 12:19 AM

I'm kind of old fashioned about stuff like that. I don't think a 7 year old needs to be plugged in, I think kids need time to be kids. I am a fluent technology user in my professional life but almost completely unplugged (she says posting on a forum) in my personal life. I don't think technology has necessarily made our lives better rather it has just made it more frenetic. Most recently there have also been studies published showing the developmental stunting that can happen to kids who plug in at an early point in their developmental lives.

You did have the best of intentions but Mom & Dad know their kids best and have the right to make those choices for their family. While I would have offered it back to you, as a gift giver I never would have asked for it back.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 AM

My 7 yo has no idea what an iPod touch is, what it is used for, but he desparately wants one because all his friends have one. . . .not going to happen in this house. He does have a DVD player that hangs on the back of my car seat (cost about AU$80.00) for trips of over an hour. He can wear headphones if I get sick of Scooby Doo!
I wouldn't ask for any present back - however, I gave my nephew, a muscian, a really good set of headphones I got online for him so he could play his electric piano and not annoy the house. I found out that his big sister had claimed them for her bedroom. I asked her to buy him a set - at local prices. She gave them back pronto.
Glad to see you worked your situation out too!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Deactivate it, if they say anuthing - tell them you were just getting around to using doing this. That is was just for him to play with.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM

last year when my dgd was only 2 she got hold of her mothers cell phone and just started pushing buttons aand somehow she called me (must have been on her mom's speed dial list) when I answered the phone there was a small pause and she said Gramma? When I realized it was her I told her to give her mom the phone but she wouldn't so I talked to her for awhile till her mother found her. DD took the phone to see whoshe was talking to and it was me and she was convinved that I called her but I finally got her to believe that gd actually did make the call - now dd keeps the phone out of reach and no more surprise calls