Contacts or Glasses?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by jetnica
LASIK!!! I will need either glasses or another surgery again in a few years, but starting over on the perscription scale is ok w me.
Something interesting here - check out cataract surgery after the lasik procedure. I hear that cataract surgery doesn't work after the procedure. I had cataract surgery and still need glasses - bifocals for close work, regular lenses for clarity and can't see a lick with them on if I am at the computer. Go figure! Edie
Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 AM

I wear contacts, but to read or other close work I wear reading glasses.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 AM

I started to need reading glasses with progressive lenses when I was in my early 40s. About 15 years ago, my optometrist convinced me to try soft monovision contacts. WOW! It took about 15 seconds for my eyes to get used to the contacts, and about a week for my brain to catch up to what it was supposed to do. I love-love-love them! (I still keep a pair of current Rx glasses on my nightstand, but can't wear them for any length of time as they make me dizzy.)

My original Dr. said that it would take about 10 years for the presbyopia to stabilize (the "my arms are too short!" syndrome), but only now have I been able to go more than a year with the same Rx. And unfortunately, I have enough astigmatism in each eye that I can't wear over-the-counter glasses.

Yes, I have a bit of difficulty at night, but that's a small price to pay for not having to wear wretched glasses ALL the time.

HINT to other new contact wearers: Keep your liquid intake up! The moisture in your eyes frequently reflects how hydrated you are overall. Drink a lot of water and you'll likely have fewer problems with dry eyes.

Another hint: Sometimes the difficulty you may have seeing to sew might have to do with your lighting levels. Once I got one of those bright "bendable" lights, my problems went away.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I have had glasses for reading for about 10 or 11 years. Never had contacts. Afraid to try.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Okay - my story will take a little time.
Shortly after I started using glasses for reading, a girlfriend & I were visiting another friend. Our friend's DH had worn contacts forever, and he had started using the disposable kind that you wear for a week and then throw away. I was wondering out loud if I could use a contact in 1 eye for reading. He said,'Absolutely not!' My friend said, "Oh yes you can. I've had 1 contact for reading and 1 for distance for years! It's called 'monovision'"

So I did that, too. I started with just 1 disposable contact for reading, and eventually I needed 1 for distance, too. When I had cataract surgery on my reading eye, my doc put in a lens for reading. I'm about to have cataract surgery in the other eye, and he'll put in a lens for distance.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM

I wore contacts for years, but I have astigmatism. My contacts were multifocal, but my eyes are so different that as time has worn on, I can't see very well with them any more. I give up my distance vision somewhat for wearing the multifocal, but now I'm giving up my reading vision as well. I see better with my bifocal glasses.

One solution is to get some #1 readers. They have very little prescription, but they'll bring your close-up vision into better focus.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:08 PM

I'd love to be able to see with out freaking glasses! I hate them!!! I don't like contacts either... I would like to get lasik... but I'm afraid that if i do that it won't work...
Old 06-20-2010, 06:38 PM

I have severe hay fever so I cannot tolerate contacts darn it. I used to have a severe astigmatism but that was corrected when I had lens replacements for cataracts. I used to have problems threading needles while cussing up a storm. After the surgery I still have a little trouble threading needles but the cussing is much less. LQTM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 PM

I've had the mono vision contacts (one near, one distance) for several years now. However I seem to be developing catatacts and sometimes my vision is just not that great, then in a little bit it will be ok for awhile. I'm hoping it will be all better when I do qualify for cataract surgery.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM

I have worn contacts for over 50 years. I have the rigid gas perms. Don't like the disposable contacts. I have one lens for distance and one for reading. Hopefully I won't ever have to go back to glasses.