Cookie Table at weddings?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM

I had never heard of this until our daughter married a portugese fella. He asked if I would like to make some pastries/cookies to add to the table that his mother and sisters would like to do at the reception. I said sure; to make sure our family was represented with goodies. I gathered a couple girlfriends and we baked about 3 weeks before the wedding. And yes there was cake too ! So once this was started I then had to carry it on for the next two weddings of our children -- LOL with no help from the other side of the family...LOL didn't matter to me I love to cook and bake.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 AM

I'm from california and it's not a tradition out here. I've heard of dessert tables at Jewish weddings.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 AM

I love the idea and have been to one wedding where the cookies replaced a wedding cake. The display was beautiful, and I thought very practical.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 AM

I live in Iowa and the cookie table is not done around here. But I think its a great idea. I enjoy a wedding that is a little different. My son got married this summer and he had a outside wedding and the reception was a potluck. And to my surprised people really enjoyed it. They didn't mind bringing a dish for everyone to share. It was more like a old fashion wedding where everyone did something special to make it a wonderful day. It was just a simple wedding but so very nice.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Vat

I have helped with several receptions lately, retirement, school ribbon cuttings, drama open house, etc. and we have had a cookie table at all of them. They are a big hit. We do a center piece and then work all the cookies around it.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 AM

I am from St. Louis/Il and I have never heard of this custom. I also lived in Idaho and they did not do that there either. In our area, we order very large cakes and then have boxes so if a person wants to take cake home with them, then the little boxes are perfect. When my daughter got married, her in-laws wanted to order a special coffee cake so we said okay. They ordered two of these coffee cakes, which were about 2 feet wide ! These 2 cakes covered an entire table and I think about 10 slices was eaten, they had to take the cakes home. In Idaho, they made a very small wedding cake but they made sheet cakes which were given to guests to eat. The bride and groom ate from the wedding cake. Most of my family members made each layer of the cake a different flavor: devil's food, yellow, lemon, etc. I guess you all like your custom of cookies and as a guest, I would love it, but as a member of the family involved in the wedding, I am not sure I would like to stop and bake cookies at such a busy time. We were totally swamped when DD got married. Thank you for sharing this custom with us.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Here in Maine they sometimes do a candy table and when my brother got married in Texas they have a groomsmen cake, and a girlfriend from New York said they have a tradition of having Jordons almonds on the tables.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 AM

I have never heard of it either, but I think it's a great idea. We do that on Xmas Eve
with everyone bringing cookies..I ate my share last night..
Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 AM

I have not seen this in Minnesota- but boy- it sure sounds like fun.

Maybe when my kids get married- I'll try to convince them to borrow a tradition from a different region.

I think the aunts would have a blast baking and sharing cookies.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 AM

I'm from Lake County and have never heard of a "cookie table." (but sounds fabulous!)
I am all Italian and we have huge dessert tables at weddings including a lot of pastry.
I've been to non-Italian weddings and still have not heard of the cookie table. Great idea!
BTW...Merry Christmas!