Cooking disaster

Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 PM

I tried something new tonight-portabello mushrooms topped with a chopped spinach and mozzarella cheese mix. Baked them in the oven in my favorite 40-year old (wedding present) casserole dish. Was serving the 2nd one when the handle slipped, the dish fell on the plate, cracked off a big piece, and left little shards of glass on both plates of food! I don't know which makes me sadder-losing the new culinary treat or my favorite casserole dish. So now we're having homemade pizza from the freezer. :-(
Old 05-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I tried something new tonight-portabello mushrooms topped with a chopped spinach and mozzarella cheese mix. Baked them in the oven in my favorite 40-year old (wedding present) casserole dish. Was serving the 2nd one when the handle slipped, the dish fell on the plate, cracked off a big piece, and left little shards of glass on both plates of food! I don't know which makes me sadder-losing the new culinary treat or my favorite casserole dish. So now we're having homemade pizza from the freezer. :-(
NO!!!!! Tell them your out of pizza and you'll just have to go out to eat!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh, so sorry that happened to you. I have had a few of my favorite pieces broken and I refuse to get upset about it. It's just not worth getting mad or sad over. At least you get to enjoy pizza.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Oh No!!! :( You had my mouth watering over those mushrooms....
I too have lost a few favorites and it is sad, because there were many memories from using them all of the time. My kids will say that the food just doesn't taste the same without it being served in "that" dish....
Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Wow -- your new recipe really has me drooling....sorry that you lost your favorite dish as well as dinner. However, my "cooking disasters" often involve the fire dept.... :oops:
Old 05-22-2010, 02:50 PM

Well holy batman! I'm sorry this happened & ruined your wonderful sounding recipe! Yummm What a bummer about your dish also. :cry: I hope the remainder of your evening goes better. :wink:
Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 PM

A few years ago a friend made me cake on a very old Corning plate. As I am walking home I fell in the garage and dropped it. I panicked but found a replacement on Craigslist all the way in San Francisco. Search around. Maybe you can replace it. I know it will not be the same one, but it will do the job. I am sure the size was perfect for you.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I would have been more upset about the dish than the food. When we had a fire in our kitchen of all the things lost I was more upset about my big ceramic and glass bowls. They were expensive and it took me forever to save up the money for them. Not sure if the heat from the fire broke them or the firemen did. I found them tossed in the back yard broken. Enough ranting sorry.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:18 PM

cjomomma, I completely understand. I can always fix the dish again, but may have trouble finding a dish to replace mine. Mainly, tho, I am just really glad that neither my husband or I were hit with shards of glass.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Oh, I am glad no one got hurt too! Your dish sounded really good though!