Cooking Disasters

Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 AM

Loving all the funny happenings LOL....Have a couple more that weren't Holiday events.

MIL made noodles in her pressure cooker.a no-no.Lid blew off,noodles flew everywhere.Yrs later when kitchen was remodeled, they found dried noodle between cabinets & wall

I remember when dear FIL stopped in at lunch time & I'd made gravy...he loved gravy,but when I saw him coming, hid the gravy in the oven.Of course,DH eventually told FIL & he teased me for yrs about "no gravy for the mashed potatoes" LOL

The one DH never ever forgets & tells everyone about, was getting sick......cause I'd tried to poison him.Was it my fault? Anyway was trying to get things done before we were leaving next day on trip to Colo & Idaho.He had that day to work, then we'd leave around midnight (young for sure!).Sent him off with a lunch & thermos of coffee.....he drank a couple big swigs of coffee, then tossed the rest.

Instead of coffee....he'd taken it with water & dash of bleach (to clean it).He was ok till we got to 1st motel on the way.Then it was off to the bathrm...agin & again & several times more.Have to admit DD & I couldn't keep from laughing.He still says I'd poisoned him LOL

One more....our 1st micro came with a cook book & decided to make brownies in it.I did & even the dog wouldn't eat them! I use micro for heating up/not cooking.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 AM

One year my DH decided to go the fresh turkey route for Thanksgiving, but discovered the small turkey farm didn't have any turkeys left, so on his way home he stopped by a grocery store (2 days before Thanksgiving) and bought a non-frozen turkey which he placed in the refrigerator to await T-day. When I opened the turkey to prep it for baking, I knew instantly it was rotten.... So we cooked up a little chicken, hamburgers, steak, pork chops...whatever we could find in the freezer, and lots and lots of veggies. The 15 guests were very understanding but oh so disappointed... and when invited for other Thanksgivings, several asked while chuckling, if they could call us the night before to be sure the turkey was edible. Today we all laughingly remember the Thanksgiving without turkey. And yes, we did get a refund from the store.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 AM

My worst was a funeral, not a holiday. The lady across the street (and a church member) had a brother that died. I was making buttermilk-coconut pies to take and an extra for me. I finished them about 11pm and decided it was too late to take them over. Boy was I glad. I decided to eat a slice of mine. I noticed the pie pan looked strange. when I took a bite, I thought I'd been poisoned. I had used baking soda instead of cornstarch in the pies. They sat side by side in my cabinet. It's been 25 or 30 years and I still won't sit them in the same cabinet.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by puck116
Originally Posted by SueKitten1
Embarrassing. On the first Thanksgiving that I cooked a turkey, I did the same thing, left the small package of stuff in the turkey. Imagine my surprise when ny DH cut the turkey and pulled it out! We all had a good laughand enjoyed our dinner. Now that my daughter cooks the meal, she called last year and asked "Am I supposed to take the bag out of the turkey?" Like mother, like daughter!
Isn't this a rite of passage? Newly married, I called my mother for directions to cook a chicken. She didn't say to removed that bag of innards, so I didn't. I know now though. I think I told my daughter to be sure to take out that bag.
and doesn't the print on that bag of stuff look lovely thru the crisp brown skin of the turkey!! i really thought i was the only one who did that! thanks ladies, i feel so much better now!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 AM

My worst cooking disaster happened 2 years ago (and I've been cooking for 40+ years). My husband and his buddy take a yearly fishing trip. Part of that involves me making a huge pot of chili for them. Apparently, this time I "veered" from my usual recipe. When the guys returned home, my husband's friend informed me he cracked a tooth!. I said something like, "oh my gosh, what happened?". He told me he was eating a bowl of MY chili when it happened. Apparently I used WHOLE PEPEPERCORNS instead of ground pepper...Boy, was I didstracted that day-lol! Luckily, his friend had dental insurance and I didn't have to pay for the repair. Was I ever embarassed!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM

[quote=Ramona Byrd]
Originally Posted by momymom
Bout the worse disaster I had at the holidays was the year I caught the oven on fire. I had made candied sweet potatoes. Being in a last minute rush, I just dumped the marsh mellows on top and closed the oven. I was finishing up the last minute preparations when we smelled the smoke. When I opened the oven the marsh mellows were on fire.
--------------------------------------------------
This must be the most often burned food ever. My dear daughter-in-law did this and was she embarrassed!! She and my son are
part time chefs and do a lot of cooking for groups.

As for myself, I am usually a good cook, BUT for whatever reason, I simply can not cook beans without burning them, and I can not make good German Potato Salad. When it's my turn to bring them, my friends gently suggest that I get them at Save Mart.
PM me and I'll give you a great recipe for German Potato Salad. It is my great grandmother's recipe.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

A friend of mine told me of her first Thanksgiving. She didn't know which side of the turkey was up (maybe the pop-up done thingy should have been an indication?) so when the turkey was done the pop-up thingy punched a hole in the bottom of the foil roasting pan and the draining juices caught the oven on fire! She said it burnt so bad that they had to go to Denny's for dinner.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:36 PM

LOL....Just when you think you've heard it all :-D :D

Originally Posted by baskets4moo
A friend of mine told me of her first Thanksgiving. She didn't know which side of the turkey was up (maybe the pop-up done thingy should have been an indication?) so when the turkey was done the pop-up thingy punched a hole in the bottom of the foil roasting pan and the draining juices caught the oven on fire! She said it burnt so bad that they had to go to Denny's for dinner.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 AM

All these stories really made me laugh. I made a pumkin cake once and forget to put the flour in, it looked nice in the tube pan but when I inverted it, it fell apart. Another one when company was coming from a long trip I decided to make frozen pizza and salad. Put pizza in for the amount of time but the bottom didn't look done, I forgot to take the cardboard off.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:29 AM

I have so enjoyed reading these!

Now, I've had many "oops" moments in the kitchen. The most memorable was a time I was making homemade pasta sauce--a cheese sauce, I think? It must have been because I needed milk and either I had run out or it was out of date. No problem! I had some product samples from a convention I had attended of dry soy milk--just reconstitute with water. Not ideal, but I figured it would do in a pinch. And it might have...if the soy milk had not been VANILLA FLAVORED. I was cooking for my roommate and friends. We were hungry, dug in and...well, it's hard to describe. That had to have been ten years ago, but I haven't heard the end of it yet!