Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Copyrighted Material Question >

Copyrighted Material Question

Copyrighted Material Question

Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned

Twinkie....I know where I went for classes a pattern was copied and passed on....

You would think they'd tell you to buy the pattern from then for the class. Didn't understand they way they thought!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM

got a question. i bought a book that came with the acrylic template and i was 1/2 way thru the quilt when the template shattered. that template is no longer available. i contacted the makers and they don't have any left. the only way to get it is to buy the book with the template again off of ebay. if i found someone with that template, would it be a breach to ask them to trace it for me so i could finish my quilt? i mean, i already bought it once.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twinkie
What about a class that you take and you are given a photocopy of a pattern that the class is making. Is the author of the pattern getting the credit or do we need to ask the teacher if this pattern is copywrited? I am confused. Also, if I make a quilt block from a pattern and post a picture of the quilt I made from this block and someone wants me to do a tutorial, am I breaking the law by doing a tute? I am sure that the person who did a tute on the folded dahlia did not design the pattern (or maybe they did LOL).
It depends on the instructor, most of the time you are required to purchase the pattern. There is also a chance that they received permission from the author of the pattern. You would only know for sure by asking the instructor.

I don't know the answer to the question about the folded dahlia, but i do know that the pattern has been around for many years. I made one with my mother probably 20 or more years ago, but I don't have the pattern anymore. I don't know what happened to the book.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 PM

If I ask about a pattern I am looking to purchase it and need to know who the designer is :-)
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM

It literally makes me see RED on ebay when I see them greedy people selling 'copies' of a mag page pattern.A lot of those are from todays quilters,and are copyrighted.Or even the page out of a book or mag.Sell the whole thing,or nothing.Really chaps my hide,and wastes my time.Same with iron on transfers.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by virgwid
Thank you for bringing this up. I am a brand new quilter and frankly this had never even been in my thinking until now. I have several times asked people on the board if they would share their pattern for a particular quilt that I just fell in love with. Most times they would send me a link to where they bought it. Great! I appreciated it. Now I'm wondering if they were thinking I was trying to get away with something. I didn't understand there were copyrighted patterns and such. I bet most people don't realize it until it is brought to their attention.

I used to belong to a charity knitting group and we swapped patterns and books and such all the time. Were we breaking the law? I would think once I bought a book of patterns if I wanted to share it, shouldn't I be able to? And at work, we all read the same authors. One will buy a book and then it gets passed around. Cuts our reading expenses. If libraries can do this, why can't I? And what if I find a great quilting book in the library - I can't use the pattern??? Ok, now I'm getting a headache. :) I want to do the right thing, just confused as to what exactly that is! Virg
If you check a library book out,like I have in the past,I photocopy patterns out of them.But for my own use,not for re-sell.I think that's where the rub is.And just about all pattern books say we may use them for our own use,and make copies for our own use.Just don't re-sell them.I don't re-sell anything,so everything is for my own use.And I don't see anything wrong if you all buy a different book,and all read them.I mean,the economy stinks,and you all paid full price for your books.Otherwise,I'd have to give craftsman sears money,every time I used a screwdriver.Or a hammer.Now,that's rediculas.And there is a limit.Once it's sold,It's sold.I don't care if I pd a quarter for it.If it's copyrighted,the makers were pd at the original time it was bought new.After that,it might end up at a thrift store,or yard sale,or the quilting board.They sell books every day here,do they pay the author again,and again? and again?No,they don't.That would be silly.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
If it is copyrighted it is intellectual that the owner should be compensated for by each user. Comments?
----------------------------------------------

And the Buckeye Rose wrote:
The copywriter gets the money from the buyer who pays for the pattern. It then belongs to the buyer, but s/he can not SELL this actual pattern or a copy, but I think can give it or loan it to others. The resulting quilt I think can put it up for raffle or sale for charity, but the selling of the quilt, well, we've had a lot of comments on that, probably is okay, and from what I've gleaned from all the fall-out, making a quilt from that pattern for a client might be legal. Making a quilt from this pattern for gifting, I'm sure won't make any pattern maker rush to a lawyer.
If I'm not correct, please comment on this.[/quote]
In most cases the pattern will clearly state what you are allowed to do with it and what is not allowed. Some, for example, will state that it's okay to sell items you have made from the pattern and others will exclude that. It's best to read the details before you do anything with it other than make it for your own use.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 AM

I think we've been through this before, and came to the realization that copyright means you simply cannot copy the pattern and sell it. Maybe a bad thing to do is to use it and make things to sell that are exact copies of what the pattern looks like and not give credit to the pattern maker.
BUT I suspect there are lots of pictures still in existence of old quilts exactly or a lot like theirs, made before the pattern copyrighters were even born, that obviously puts that pattern in doubt. Quilts have evolved in different states and countries over time, and lots of women have had the same ideas of what is lovely and put those ideas in their quilts.
From what I've seen here, lots if not most quilters put their own ideas in their quilts, while more or less following the guidelines of the pattern maker, who we know did work hard trying to make their patterns lovely and accurate.
There are a lot of comments in the past here that can still be accessed on this matter, for and against lots of ideas on this subject.
I think that if you make a quilt and show it, you really should give the pattern maker credit for that pattern. And also give the LA quilter credit, since that is an art form in itself. Otherwise, all that work on the quilt is the MAKER's work and no other person could duplicate it. Quilts aren't clones, (Walmart quilts excepted) I don't think anyone can or would want to make clones of their quilts, except perhaps in the case of making them for twins, and even then there should be some small difference to set them apart.
Actually, there is a great article on this on the American Quilter's Society website. Copywright does NOT mean you just can't copy. Fascinatingly enough, it also means that if you have made something using a pattern, you cannot give that pattern to a friend to make, too. I had no idea!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
If it is copyrighted it is intellectual that the owner should be compensated for by each user. Comments?

And the Buckeye Rose wrote:
The copywriter gets the money from the buyer who pays for the pattern. It then belongs to the buyer, but s/he can not SELL this actual pattern or a copy, but I think can give it or loan it to others. The resulting quilt I think can put it up for raffle or sale for charity, but the selling of the quilt, well, we've had a lot of comments on that, probably is okay, and from what I've gleaned from all the fall-out, making a quilt from that pattern for a client might be legal. Making a quilt from this pattern for gifting, I'm sure won't make any pattern maker rush to a lawyer.
If I'm not correct, please comment on this.
In most cases the pattern will clearly state what you are allowed to do with it and what is not allowed. Some, for example, will state that it's okay to sell items you have made from the pattern and others will exclude that. It's best to read the details before you do anything with it other than make it for your own use.[/quote]

Sorry, but I didn't say that.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 AM

It also depends on the pattern. A nine patch is what my teacher used to call a public pattern. If there was ever a copyright, it has long expired. You can do what you want with this. But a relatively new pattern ie BQ2, you cannot copy and make this for profit. Not even a raffle without the designer's written permission. Gifting is ok. Also if you are in the habit of going to an office supply store and using their printers to copy a pattern, this info remains in their printer and could cause problems for the store.