Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: this is for admin - re: showing copyrighted stuff

according to the forum rules, we are not to show images of copyrighted patterns without permission of the owner, right? does that include showing a quilt made from a copyrighted pattern?

BTW, the hair implants and cosmetic surgery do not suit you at all. liked you much better the other way.

Power Poster
    any before and after images available?

Butterflywing, I have to agree with you on Admin's new "do". Kinda looks like me first thing in the morning. :shock:

Okay. Admin will be able to say for sure, but when I posted any of my finished counted cross stitch pictures on anothe forum, I emailed the manufacturer or designer to ask for permission to post it. Everytime I asked I was told it was fine, but to list who the manufacturer and/or designer is. I figure it's worth asking first to make sure it's okay.

Wow, another thing I never thought of. I am too naive. And oh my goodness what happened to our administrator. Shocking.

speaking of shocking, that could explain the new look. do you think we 'shocked' him?

You may be right. That might explain the new look. :D :D

I'm not part of admin, but I don't see how showing a quilt made from a copyrighted pattern is an infringement. If you bought the pattern, then you are given explicit permission to produce a quilt from that pattern. The quilt you made is an original work of art. The pattern and the quilt are mutually exclusive of each other. I don't see how showing the quilt, again, is an infringment of any sort.

From my understanding......

You can show the quilt to others/post on board, but you cannot RESELL or copy the pattern and give to others.
    Not sure how it works if you make the pattern and want to put it in a show.......but I'm sure someone on here knows the answer.

How do I see admin's new look?

Click here K
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/6.page
    and look at his new avatar ;)

LOL that is funny. I wonder what he is thinking.

He may be in disguise to try and fool the mob of drooling women who have been stalking him? *puts on best innocent expression* ;-)

As for the copyright, my understanding is the same, you buy the pattern and can make as many quilts as you like from it, but you cannot re-sell the pattern.

This issue of copyright is so tricky, and I have heard so many conflicting opinions. I found this article on the internet, written by a woman who is a quilter and also an attorney specializing in intellectual property. I know - you can find ANYTHING on the internet, and you don't know which articles are factual and which aren't. However, these rules make sense to me, so I intend to follow them.

http://www.quilttownusa.com/Town_Hall/cpexperts.htm

To paraphrase the article, if you buy a pattern you may make the article in the pattern, and sell this article or give it away, and you may sell or give away the original pattern. (You paid for it, you own it - the pattern that is, not the copyright.) You may also make the item in the pattern and use it as a raffle quilt.

You cannot mass produce the article in the pattern for distribution, and you cannot make copies of the original pattern to distribute to others. A copy of the pattern for your personal use is allowed. (I would assume that if you make a copy while you own the pattern, then you should destroy that copy if you sell the original pattern, or give it to the person who receives the original pattern.)

The article doesn't address showing your quilt, but I can't believe that anyone selling patterns would discourage that activity, or that it would be illegal to show something that you legally made, having purchased the pattern (or having been given it by someone who did purchase it). It is good manners to give credit to the pattern designer when the quilt is shown.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    How do I see admin's new look?
    is it possible that the picture that we all love of admin was taken 40 years ago? and this really IS the way he looks now? LOL. or, he doesn't want us to know what he looks like now because someone used the stalker word?
    and he's incognito?

as to the copyright issue, i think that if you sell or show a made item, you have to give credit to the designer. i think shadow or moonpi or patrice addressed this issue. i'll try to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    ........The article doesn't address showing your quilt, but I can't believe that anyone selling patterns would discourage that activity, or that it would be illegal to show something that you legally made, having purchased the pattern (or having been given it by someone who did purchase it). It is good manners to give credit to the pattern designer when the quilt is shown.
    Thank you for sharing the link. I, too, would find it hard to believe that someone who worked hard on creating a pattern with intent to sell would discourage another quilter from sharing the finished product....that is, the quilt, itself. By sharing the quilt made from a pattern, you encourage and inspire others to go out and buy the same pattern, thereby perpatuating higher sales / profit.

Each time I make a quilt and share it on ths Internet (or elsewhere), I do share which pattern I've used and who created it. As you've said, it is just good manners to give credit where credit is due.

Blog Entries
    oh my, yep he let himself go, i guess we brought the ape out of him , i knew their is a animal in every man ,but man he change so much, more hair and talk about putting weight on ,wow i guess you can call him a full figure ape lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    He may be in disguise to try and fool the mob of drooling women who have been stalking him? *puts on best innocent expression* ;-)

As for the copyright, my understanding is the same, you buy the pattern and can make as many quilts as you like from it, but you cannot re-sell the pattern.
    LOL...I do it so often, I just now noticed...Blue, whenever I go to read one of your replies, I hear you talking in a very distinctive voice. It's cool. You sound kinda like an aussie, I think. :lol:
    hmm, do that with BW too,...how many more do I do that with?
    (will have to look into that :wink: )
    yeah, admin. going ape, is his incognito look,...to fool all these lustful women...drooling, deranged females...wonder who they could be????* :wink:

I like it when you women stalk me, and all you've seen are my feet.

As far as copyright, you can post your own work that was derived from a copyright pattern. You cannot post the pattern and you cannot give it away unless as below, you give all copies of the pattern away.

As far as selling a copyright pattern, sure, as long as you give up every copy of the pattern you own. You cannot sell it as yours though, you must acknowledge who owns the copyright. This is like if you bought a photograph from a famous photographer. He/she owns the copyright to the photo, you own the copy. If you find some fool who will pay you 10x what you payed for it, you can sell it. Can't make a copy of it though.

tim in san jose

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy

LOL...I do it so often, I just now noticed...Blue, whenever I go to read one of your replies, I hear you talking in a very distinctive voice. It's cool. You sound kinda like an aussie, I think. :lol:
    Oooh - she might not like the 'aussie' bit QNC! (hides behind sofa to dodge Blue throwing boomerangs at C!!! :mrgreen: ) I think it's like calling a Scot English! :x

K x

And boomerangs come from Oz too! PMSL

Yes, just like calling a Scot English. As for the accent, we sound very similar to the Canadians apparently.

;-)

k3n
    Blog Entries

I KNOW!!!! And luckily they go straight back there too! Unlike the Aussies themselves, who all seem to congregate in London and work in bars! :lol:

K x

Quote Originally Posted by k3n

I KNOW!!!! And luckily they go straight back there too! Unlike the Aussies themselves, who all seem to congregate in London and work in bars! :lol:

K x
    LMAO

I think you'll find quite a few kiwi's in there too! ;-)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Can't tell 'em apart! LOL

K x

You'd better learn quick! lol

They're loud and obnoxious, we're refined and well mannered! *choke, cough, gasp*

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter

I like it when you women stalk me, and all you've seen are my feet.

As far as copyright, you can post your own work that was derived from a copyright pattern. You cannot post the pattern and you cannot give it away unless as below, you give all copies of the pattern away.

As far as selling a copyright pattern, sure, as long as you give up every copy of the pattern you own. You cannot sell it as yours though, you must acknowledge who owns the copyright. This is like if you bought a photograph from a famous photographer. He/she owns the copyright to the photo, you own the copy. If you find some fool who will pay you 10x what you payed for it, you can sell it. Can't make a copy of it though.

tim in san jose
    you don't know what your in for, Tim! All these women round here...first thing they look at on a man is his feet...then the hands, the ears, the nose...like Jeff Foxworthy says, "Man he better be packing, cause that's one funny looking dude!"
    Seen your pic somehwere's...hmmm, maybe in my mind?
    you ain't funny looking. ok, ladies, Tim's give ya, the come hither look, LOL!
    I hear the drool starting to drip now...are these women not tended to, or just greedy?
    any which way, you look at it...you win...or do you? :roll: LOL!
    thanks for the copyright info. :D I want to give ppl credit, but don't want to have to write a doggone book about it...I write a lot of epics now.:roll:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast