Cost of new die...

Old 04-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Default Cost of new die...

I have a GO and quite a collection of dies. In this morning email recd a post from accuquilt....a tute on new lemoyne star die. Like what i saw...then checked out price....&44.99... A bit higher than I anticipated...so i shall either shop around, wait for great sale or just do with eb pattern, which i have anyway......just thought this would be more efficient and accurate......patience.....
Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Probably a very accurate way of cutting fabric for that block. My friend bought hers at the LQS since they allow those customers to use their extensive library of dies. That is a big investment especially if you are going to make just one quilt.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:41 AM

I bought the Hunter's Star die, for about the same price. I didn't even want to try making a Hunter's Star quilt until I got my GO. No way was I going to cut out all those little triangles and pieces and try to make them fit togethr. It was so easy with the die cuts. All the pieces fit together perfectly and I only had to do a little bit of squaring up - which was caused by my stitching, not my cutting. With the GO the quilt was much quicker and easier to cut, and the stitching was much easier because the pieces all fit together. Which made the die IMHO well worth the price. I love my GO.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:44 AM

I also have the Hunter's star die. Perfect cuts every time. Don't know if I will buy the Lemoyne block
Old 04-03-2016, 05:06 AM

I love the GO dies but I think the prices are outrageous. I have not been happy with my die that cuts multiples of 2.5 inch squares, it wasn't used much and it's clean, but the cuts are ragged. I would love to have more dies like the Lemoyne Star too but that is a ridiculous price, imho.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I have about a hundred dies for the Go. All bought on sale or clearance by me or given to me as gifts for Birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas from my family. I put the dies I would like to have in my sale basket at Amazon or Walmart and when the price drops I get a notification. If it drops to the price I think is a good sale I buy it. Sometimes it takes a few months but the price always go down eventually. Also Google quilt shop clearance every so often. Many online shops have clearance sales of the dies and it's not posted anywhere. Right now there is a sale on dies for $5-$10 off. Not that much of a savings for me to buy one I don't have. If I need a die for a quilt I'm dying to make I'll buy it at regular price. I know I saved the cost of the die by buying others on sale.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 AM

Yes, thats how i accumulated many of my dies....when shopping for good prices was allowed..i had a supplier in michigan that was great...then accuquilt lowered the boom and price control took over....so now its gift cards from family at holiday....but thanks for those tips on wish baskets........that may be the answer. The now "sale" of $5,$10 is rather sad.......
I'll wait..no hurry....
btw, just went to walmart to see the prices there...identical to those on accuquilt site...really price control, even won't let walmart give a deal!

Last edited by Geri B; 04-04-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 AM

Right now, Accuquilt is having a sale on the Go dies.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:58 AM

When I started I thought the dies were expensive but after using them and saving the time from cutting and the accuracy of the cut my time alone and the lack of wasted fabric it is all worth it! Also, when I buy them on sale I usually buy enough to qualify for free shipping and they don't charge me the state tax, so another discount for me.

To get the best cuts it is best to watch their video - starch the fabric and place it on the die with the straight of grain going the right direction.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-04-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I never bought this cutting system. It's too pricey for my pocket. A friend has one, i used it and had to buy her a new cuttuig mat. That was $10.