Could you survive?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

I don't have anything set up. God bless. Penny
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Sewing kit with nail clippers and tweezers
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Amen! And when the boat comes hopefully we will recognize that it is there for us. I think about the people who wouldn't leave their pets because they couldn't evacuate them too. I think (hope) I could be as loyal to my fur baby are he is to me. I don't think I could leave him behind without a real fight.

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
Originally Posted by BARES
I live in Los Angeles County California.

We have four seasons here -- FIRE, FLOOD, EARTHQUAKE AND RIOTS. We need to know survival for all our seasons. It is not parnoia. It is called SURVIVAL for self and family. Then for your community. You can't save anyone elses life unless you save your own first.

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I take exception to being called paranoid. I have a first class first aid kit (sutures included) and what some would call survival gear. I guess those that live in tornado alley, hurricane and earthquake zones take survival gear a little more seriously than others. Being prepared is not paranoia. Ask anyone that has been evacuated for any of those things.
BARES, I just had to chuckle at your great sense of humour! And yes, based on history, you're right about your 4 seasons! Maybe our best asset for survival is our sense of humour! We can be as 'prepared' to the best of our ability, but what good does it do when we can't get to 'our stuff'? Or we've got the wrong kind of stuff for the type of disaster that might meet us one day? I'm reminded of the Katrina victims, some might have had emergency items stocked away, but who's going to dive through a raging flood to retrieve them? What they needed was a boat. In all of our 'preparedness' , I think that the best way to be prepared is to stay 'in tune' with God at all times or relying upon our faith, and keep ourselves physically and mental fit at all times.
Yes, I agree we do need an emergency plan, organization for such events, etc. But ultimately, it's our faith, our physical and mental abilities that get us through it all.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM

[quote=BARES]Amen! And when the boat comes hopefully we will recognize that it is there for us. I think about the people who wouldn't leave their pets because they couldn't evacuate them too. I think (hope) I could be as loyal to my fur baby are he is to me. I don't think I could leave him behind without a real fight.

Yes, I too wouldn't be able to leave a fur baby behind. My area had a lot of evacuees brought here, and many had stayed here. Some emergencies you can be prepared for, and for others, it's the grace of God and your quick thinking that will save you and others.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM

A few more things (though some have been mentioned): Have cash, in smallish denominations, on hand. And water purification tablets, in addition to water. And know where your nearest red cross/emergency shelter is. And for those with multi person households, esp young kids, plan on a central meeting place and how you'd find everyone in an emergency.

72hours.org is a good resource for planning.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Great posts. I've learned so much from reading these. We have a walk-in pantry, I'll need to take a closer look at what we have and what we need as backup. I'll date the new incoming to rotate the stock to keep a good shelf life.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 AM

I started on my emergency plan and ordered 10 4.25-gallon buckets with sealed lids, 5 25-gallon water boxes, books and some canning supplies. I made a shopping list and will start getting the things I have decided on for the buckets.

I live alone and not in the greatest neighborhood and even if there is just a power outage for a week, I might want to hole up and not venture out if I don't have to.

I feel better for having taken some action.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM

It didn't take too long to make a good dent in having emergency supplies. I received the buckets, Mylar bags, and oxygen obsorbers. I vacuum packaged sugar, pasta, rice, beans, flour, salt and other spices in mylar bags inside the buckets that also have sealed lids. I packaged oats, potatoe flakes, corn meal and other dry goods with a FoodSaver and put them into the sealed buckets. These things will last for years... many, many years for a lot of it.

I got a Shelf Reliance storage rack for canned goods and will be adding to it as I do normal shopping.

I've always wanted to do home canning so I got a pressure canner, a steam canner, and a few dozen jars in different sizes. I can also use them with the FoodSaver and vacuum seal dry goods in them too. I want to try canning my goulash this weekend, my son said he wanted some too. :-D

This is a great storage system
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79695[/ATTACH]

The buckets for long term storage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79696[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79690.jpe   attachment-79691.jpe