Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will my machines survive!?? >

Will my machines survive!??

Will my machines survive!??

Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 AM

Default Will my machines survive!??

I have a concern about my sewing machines....we are in the process of moving to Minnesota from Florida (cuz I love the cold and I HATE THE HEAT....get those 2 answers out of the way of the enevitable questions, oh yeah and no I am not crazy) my concerns are I have 3 computerized machines that will be packed in a POD and shipped to Minn. They will be in storage here only for a day or so. Is the heat going to harm them? One is a Viking Diamond Deluxe and I would hate to have to replace it, actually I do not think my DH would shell out that kind of money for a second one, nor would I expect him to, in any event, any thoughts???
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 AM

Is there any possibility that you could take the machines with you in your car? That would take away your worry. However, if you pack them real well and they are stored tightly so they don't bounce around, they will probably be okay. As far as the heat goes, I don't know if it will harm them or not. Perhaps you could add them to your homeowner insurance policy so if they are damaged, you can submit a claim????
Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 AM

How do you think machines get to the dealers?

Shipped...............................almost exclusively from over seas.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

If you are worried about the moisture caused by temperature change, throw in some of those silica packs into the machine cases. I save the ones that come in shoe boxes.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Is there any possibility that you could take the machines with you in your car? That would take away your worry. However, if you pack them real well and they are stored tightly so they don't bounce around, they will probably be okay. As far as the heat goes, I don't know if it will harm them or not. Perhaps you could add them to your homeowner insurance policy so if they are damaged, you can submit a claim????
Do you still have the original boxes? I have a Bernina and two Janomes and am moving with the military to AZ from MD in June. I do not have the original boxes so we are planning on moving the machines in the car with us. I do not think the heat will bother them much since they do get shipped all over the world and I have never heard anything about not being able to ship during hot summers I am mostly worried about moving companies not being very gentle with them....they can pack all my fabric LOL
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Definitely list them and take pictures for your insurance company.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 AM

I did keep the boxes, hubby is very neurotic that way...lol and they are surrounded by immovable things, the only concern I have (had) was the heat and alot of very valid points were made. I appreciate the input from everyone. I had considered taking at least one in the car with me, but hubby says I should bite the bullet and have faith...Thanks for quick responses!!! Love this board!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM

How do you think machines get to the dealers?

Shipped...............................almost exclusively from over seas.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM

When my husband was in the Army I shipped my machines right along with my household goods. I did my own packing tho. Remvoed the needle and put the foot down. Put pillows all around them and then let the packers seal them. I had no problems at all. Two moves were over seas and household went by ship, for days..... Still using the 1973 Singer Touch and Sew.
Enjoy your new home.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 AM

When I moved from Texas ( ) to Florida in the fall of 2011, I put my computerized machine in a U-Pac, pod like, trailer. It did fine, but then again it wasn't as hot as Florida is in the spring, but had a lot of days that were hot. I did have to store it for a month in Jacksonville in December. Not cold weather, but not 90's. Again, it did fine. I have been sewing on it on a regular basis since then.