Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cowboy Coffee...good ol perked coffee >

Cowboy Coffee...good ol perked coffee

Cowboy Coffee...good ol perked coffee

Old 10-20-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I still use my percolator that I picked up from somewhere.
I just now remembered how my friends make their "camp" coffee. The night before they would start the coffee; this is just one of those coffee pots without the percolator bin in it. They used a muslin bag to hold the grounds. They would then bring the pot up to a good simmer, then take it off the fire. The next morning they would then put the pot on the fire & bring it up to a full boil.

For the record, that coffee would wake the dead.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

About a year ago I decided that I really didn't care for drip coffee and LOVED the coffee from my younger days. I still had my corningware pot however it was way too big (10 cups) for me. I did make a few pots to see if I still liked it better then dripped before I started on my quest for a percolator. I found a new in box 6 cup vintage clear glass pryex percolator on e-bay. It was the best thing I ever bought. I make a pot of coffee have 2 mugs and put the rest in a thermos so it is hot for later in the day.

My grandpa was from Poland and everyone once in awhile I make coffee the way he did. It tastes great but it is more as a reminder to me of having coffee and toast with grandpa.
This is what he would do. He put a few cups of water in a sauce pan along with a few spoonfuls of coffee, some sugar and milk. He would let it come to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Let it sit for a minute or 2 so that the ground went to the bottom of the pot and then pour into a cup with a saucer, no mugs with grandpa. Now that was the best coffee in the world. Grandpa also put lemon juice in tuna that was yummo too.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 AM

I still use my percolator that I picked up from somewhere.
I just now remembered how my friends make their "camp" coffee. The night before they would start the coffee; this is just one of those coffee pots without the percolator bin in it. They used a muslin bag to hold the grounds. They would then bring the pot up to a good simmer, then take it off the fire. The next morning they would then put the pot on the fire & bring it up to a full boil.

For the record, that coffee would wake the dead.
I BELIEVE YOU! Bet it would remove wallpaper too if need be.

:-D
Old 10-20-2010, 07:24 AM

:-D[/quote]

LOL - the guys would use the coffee leftovers to clean their black-powder rifles.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
About a year ago I decided that I really didn't care for drip coffee and LOVED the coffee from my younger days. I still had my corningware pot however it was way too big (10 cups) for me. I did make a few pots to see if I still liked it better then dripped before I started on my quest for a percolator. I found a new in box 6 cup vintage clear glass pryex percolator on e-bay. It was the best thing I ever bought. I make a pot of coffee have 2 mugs and put the rest in a thermos so it is hot for later in the day.

My grandpa was from Poland and everyone once in awhile I make coffee the way he did. It tastes great but it is more as a reminder to me of having coffee and toast with grandpa.
This is what he would do. He put a few cups of water in a sauce pan along with a few spoonfuls of coffee, some sugar and milk. He would let it come to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Let it sit for a minute or 2 so that the ground went to the bottom of the pot and then pour into a cup with a saucer, no mugs with grandpa. Now that was the best coffee in the world. Grandpa also put lemon juice in tuna that was yummo too.
My father-in-law used the clear glass stove-top perk too. He had a stock-pile of the glass innerds and pots, so when/if the glass stuff broke he could maintain this method. Those are avail on ebay, etc. Lots of 'em around for folks. I just did not want to have to get into breakables. The white corning ware pots are out there too. There was some safety issue with the electric parts for "plug-in" method. So sellers don't provide 'em. See, I really really did try to find a solution to my problem. Vintage American stainless or porcelain would be my only choice on electric perc. Nothing today not made in China. Nothing today with long-life of these old products. They are still avail. I do love e-bay, etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 AM

:-D
LOL - the guys would use the coffee leftovers to clean their black-powder rifles.[/quote]

Somehow - This does NOT surprise me. Oh, and used to soak wounds in kerosene we'd go straight to ER over too, right? I think I know these 'ol timers!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 AM

Can I tell you folks about one other coffee item? When I JUST want a single mug I use one of the contraptions used for Vietnamese Iced Coffee. It's a mini-sized perk "insides" which sets on the top of the mug. It just works so well, and does a nice job too...so passing this info along too. Got mine years ago at the Vietnamese Grocery in my area. It takes a single spoonfull of coffee, and partially fasten the top sieve over the coffee. Then pour thru the hot water til filled. Keep filling as empties...so exactly amount needed for your particular mug. So tiny, but very effective.