Craig's list or the like

Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 AM

Here is the scam my husband got after placing an ad on craigslist. Note this is NOT a craigslist link or account log in. They are hard to spot:
Old 07-14-2016, 10:08 AM

Absolutely they do not enter your house. If you have a porch or garage, not full of 'good' stuff, use it. If you live alone, ask some friends over. And when you speak to the person, make sure they understand it is a cash transaction. You want to premake 2 copies of a receipt and have any power cord needed set up. The less time it takes, the better for all. I sell things on Craigslist that I have no desire to ship and I found that when asked to use the restroom and I explain that I am not comfortable with that, people understand. I do have a couple water bottles on the porch in case it is hot and they are thirsty. My SIL has sold a couple expensive items and he requests they meet at the police station parking lot. He tells the customer that this is the safest place for BOTH of them. He arrives early and tells the desk what he is doing. He has never had someone get angry at his caution. Craigslist is a wonderful option, but you need to be aware that the bad guys know how to use it.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:06 PM

I have never sold on this site before either. I have a sewing center that folds up into a square. Sewing center, with raised cutting area, serger area, drop sewing machine area and drawers. I would want my husband to be here when selling it. I do not like strangers coming to my house either. I would take cash also to be on the safe side.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 PM

I agree with the other posters. Do NOT let any potential buyers come into your home or even come to your property. Don't ever let them know where you live. I've had friends have things go 'missing' after CL people came over, seems they were only interested in casing what they could come back for and steal. I've even heard of family pets getting stolen. Accept cash only in small bill (10's and 5's are usually not counterfeited) and meet at a police station or a place where there are other people around, like a Walmart parking lot or a convenience store. Safety first.