Craigslist

Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 AM

I have sold many things on there and no bad luck as of today, sold tractor, boat, and of course anther hubby tractor all cash no cks and day light we live in the country so best luck to you
Old 08-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

Honestly I think that most of the folks looking to buy fabric and sewing machines, tractors, vintage cars are all pretty honest good folks. I think most of the crime is around the high priced or popular stuff like electronics and jewelry.

Really how many people are thinking "hey lets kill the family a rob the house because they are selling quilting items". Not to say you do not need to be careful, by all means safety first but I think all in all the people interested in our quilting items and from my experience from CL everyone is really honest and nice.

Billy
Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here. When I numbered the rules(Not Gospel) of dealing with craigslist.
It was more of a guildline to a newbie not to someone that has already had dealings. The point, if anyone didn't get it was USE COMMON SENSE.... Someone with common sense would not walk into a dark alley just to buy or sell a sewing machine or anything for that matter. Not saying that a newbie would, it's just an example. Just be careful, no noone has died buying something as innocent as a quilt or sewing machine but it could happen. Why tempt fate, just be cautious. There are scammers all over the world,why make yourself a target. If you are uncomfortable about going alone then don't go alone. If your good with it alone then go.
Now let's be careful out there... ;)
:XD:

PS, Just a thought that has been mentioned before. Why not try to sell it here on Quilters board. Most everyone here has dealt with others on here so I think that would be the best way to go.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM

I know we all live in different places and have different options and things to consider. Recently I listed some moving boxes and other items from one of my daughters that left home. Hubby was home, we live in a gated community (just renting), posted that ALL things had to be taken that evening. Fortunately we have several vacant houses around us, one to the side and one across the street. We placed the items at the curb and gave the house # of the vacant house and did everything by email.

Hubby posed as the neighbor when person came to pick up and was picking thru what they wanted so he was there to let them know all items had to be taken.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Good for you Quiltluvr
:lol:
:XD:
Old 08-28-2010, 03:12 PM

The Key here is to be careful. My dh is a retried police officer. We have sold thing on crigslist. He WILL NOT allow anyone in the house. And If I am alone NO ONE can come at that time. He make sure that the garage doors are closed. Please do not tell anyone you are at home alone.
NEVER- have anyone come to your home when you are by yourself. Keep your cellphone with you at all times in a pocket any where out of their sight. there are a lot of nuts out there so take precaution,
:thumbup:
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Banned

I have never done it, but I would make sure you are not alone, and what about moving the machine to the garage, that way you can leave the big door opened, and you are not in a con find space. Just a thought, but please don't be alone. Good luck and God bless.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:41 PM

To those who have sold cars. I would STRONGLY suggest that after giving them the new title with the cash, go STRAIGHT to the bank, and then STRAIGHT to the DMV to sign a paper called Release of Liability. This will call for the person you've signed it over to, the milage (which you should have already written down) and other stuff, in fact, you should get this from the DMV beforehand. And then put it in the little box they have there for it, or hand it to one of the clerks there.

My sister sold an old car to a young man once, and a couple of weeks later got a registered letter from a lawyer, wanting bushels of money for his client, for pain and suffering and replacement of his car and medical costs, etc and all the other stuff a lawyer's sharp mind can find to sue for. Sister wrote back
that it was not her car, on that day she sold it she had put in a release of liability in the DMV and he could check on it if he was interested. Apparently he was interested, she never heard from him again.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 PM

I have a squirt gun!!

HA HA HA put alcohol in it.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------
Nope, put some ground up hot, HOT pepper juice in it.
Or use Wasp spray, it will hurt like mad.