Craigslist

Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 AM

I'm going to be selling my Husqvarna Viking SE and Craigslist seems to be a good way to do it, however that means having a stranger come into the home to see the machine and also a big amount of cash exchanging hands in the home. How have you handled this? Thank you for the input.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 AM

Haven't done it but need to.

I would have someone else home with me when they come to look at it. YOU are in control of scheduling time...remember. And I wouldn't say to the person "oh you need to come to see it when so&so IS HOME" leave that sentence out of the conversation.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 AM

I have bought a few items off Craigslist and also sold some.

If I was uncomfortable about the person, you know that strange feeling you get! Then I would meet in a public place away from my home. Such as a Dunkin Donuts, Panera, etc.

In your case, some place where they had a plug and table to test it. Perhaps even a library if that is allowed! If you have a small LQS that you visit regularly you might even ask them.

I would NEVER meet anyone when I was alone!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 AM

I bought a Brother CE 4000 off Craigslist and when I went to the woman's home to look at it I mentioned that I was a little leary about coming alone and was surprized that she wasn't too. I suggested, since she was a young woman living alone that she not have anyone come to her house. A few weeks later I saw a listing for a walking foot for a Brother machine --- meet in a public place. When I contacted the person selling it she emailed me back and said, "You know where I live and I know you're okay, just stop by the house." Same woman, I saw humor in it.

I've never sold anything on Craigslist but I'd make sure that perhaps a neighbor or friend could be there with me when I showed it or only show it when your husband is home.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

I am affraid of this too! I think I would try to meet in a public place!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I make sure my husband is home and only show something in the garage for something large, otherwise I meet in a public place.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

sorry, double post
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 AM

I don't want people in my house, even if someone is home!! They could be casing your house for later robery! I've read several craigslist related incidents lately. If you want people to come to your house..set a table up in the garage or on the porch, do not let them in your house or to peer into your windows to see what else you have they might like!!

Also, I will never promise to hold anything for anyone..often you never hear from them again and other potential customers go elsewhere. CASH only, first come, first served. Good luck.

Mary
Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 AM

The best thing I've heard when sell a portable item...arrange to meet them in the police parking lot....can't take any better precaution that I've heard of. The pd might even let you plug the machine in to demo! They sure don't want to be called out to your house if there are problems!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 AM

We have sold a lot of stuff on craigs list. You should have someone home. Have never had a problem with security but not everyone shows up when they say. First come first serve.