Craigslist

Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM

This past May (I believe) a husband was killed and the family tortured from people who answered an ad the family had posted in Craig's list in Edgewater, WA. Check the Tacoma, WA news for the report. I would meet at a public place not at your home.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 AM

Watch when you post because there are a lot of scams going on saying they are from craigslist but need you to fix something in your post. I just had one come thru and you cannot really find out if it is from them--I found a typo and grammer error so I knew it was a scam. Sold my item locally so I was able to delete my item but my sons like using it.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 AM

You can do what I did. I met the lady at the Local JoAnn's parking lot. I had asked her if she would bring the latest service report. I also wrote down the her license plate number just in case. I took a money order rather than a check. She turned out to be a wonderful person...we have since met a JoAnns then gone to lunch. We also email each other on sewing and quilting. It is smart of you to be concerned, since with Craig's list, you don't always get trustworthy folks like us quilters.
Meet at your LQS or fabric store...Take a friend with you, particularly if there is alot of cash involved. If there is alot of cash involved, drive to your bank right aftwards....no stops.
Better safe than sorry. No one should come to your home from Craig's list contact.
D in TX
Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 AM

we sold a car on craigslist, only gave the address to those who were making an appointment to check out the car; hubby went with for test driving. We lucked out with the best buyer ever. We stored the hard top for the winter, maybe three months, when he called to pick it up he give us a gift cert to out favorite restrauant. One fellow looking at it was a real jerk.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:20 AM

I think you have to be smart about selling on Craigslist. You should never put your address or home phone in the announcement. An e-mail address or a cell phone is okay. If you live alone and are nervous about having a stranger come to your home then call a friend to come over before the potential buyer comes to see the sewing machine.
Some items sold on Craiglist you can easily take to a public place to show but other items that are heavy or awkward need to be left at home.
I would make sure that when the potential buyer comes to your home that if you have really expensive valuables that they are put away temporarily.
If it's cash being exchanged make a receipt for the buyer and be sure to state. the date, the dollar amount, the item sold, who it was sold to and 'sold as is' on the receipt. I would not take a personal check I would take a money order or cashiers check.
I think most people buying stuff on Craigslist are honest and not criminal but you always need to be wary just in case. Good luck on selling your machine.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Banned

I have bought and sold on CL an The main gripe about it that I have is all of the spammers.

But if I show any of my vintage machines its only in my studio and most of the time folks get a kick out of ALL the machines I have in there and almost always try my treadle out.

I have even had some of the ladies call me up wanting to bring some of their friends over and see my machines and try out the treadle after I sold or serviced a machine for them. Of course I never turn them down and always welcome them.

But I have bought and sold high ticket items like car parts and cars but never had any issues at all. But like quilters the old car folks are just as nice and you have a certain code of honor that is usually there.

But unfortunately there are the few bad apples that will try and to take advantage of you or even worse. Just be careful and if you can have your hubby or some friends over when you show the machine.

Billy
Old 08-27-2010, 07:09 AM

I have a friend who has done a lot on Craigslist - she meets the person in a populated place like the grocery store parking lot to make the exchange - good luck
Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 AM

Rules of thumb for Craigslist
#1 Do not meet at your home.
#2 Do not meet alone. Have another adult with you. Preferably male.
#3 Meet in a very public place, Coffee shop, Local quilt shop etc.
#4 If they want to test it out make sure there is a place where they can try it out.(Check with business to make sure it's ok first)
#5 After the transaction, take the $$ to your bank and deposit it.
#6 If the hair on the back of your neck rises when the person walks up. Walk away, say you changed your mind. Do not go directly to your car.
I have bought many things on Craigalist and it pays to be careful. Don't become a statistic for a few bucks.
Don't mean to scare you, but times R a changing...
Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM

I've sold several things on craigslist. Never had a problem but I don't have anyone come to my house unless my DH is home. He's an ex-cop and a big man. Also cash only for payment. Checks can bounce or be forged. Not letting them in the house is a good idea. If you have a garage or carport use that.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:46 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

I like the suggestion that you meet in the Police parking lot!!!
Sounds like the best idea! They certainly would let you use an outlet somewhere if you needed it!!