Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Creative ideas to hold my earring collection please? >

Creative ideas to hold my earring collection please?

Creative ideas to hold my earring collection please?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 AM

A nice 2 inch or more wide ribbon in a color that matched your decor. Of course I'm thinking of pierced earrings. Then glue it to a small dowel the sized to be an inch longer that ribbon.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM

You could put (glue) a piece of plastic grid in a wooden hoop. Decorate it or not. The earring will be right at hand
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 AM

I use storage boxes with little drawers. They are plastic & I can see what is in every drawer.
I have some with small & some with larger drawers. I have three of them stacked up & they work great.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM

Wow, great ideas!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
My collection of earrings has grown. I would like a nice idea for hanging/displaying them so I don't have to rummage through them to make a choice for the day. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas that would be creative, simple and easy? Looking forward to your input. Can involve quilting or not... just not plastic!
For years I have had my earrings hung on a 2 inch wide piece of grosgrain ribbon. The ear wires poke right through the ribbon easily. You can hang the ribbon from what ever you want. I also use a slightly wider piece of double knit fabric, the kind we used to make pants out of, cut in a strip, same thing the ear wires poke right through the fabric easily. I keep them narrow so that I can use clutch backs on some post ear rings. They could be put on a coat hanger with a snap or just pinned with a safety pin. Easy to take lose to roll up for travel. Mine are about 18 inches long and work really well. If you want to organize them, put holidays on a strip, blues, reds and etc on different strips, fun way to be able to pick at a moments notice.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM

I made a ear ring holder using a large embordery hoop and covered it with satin and then a nice lace and just hang your ear rings in the lace. I have a picture, but can't figure out how to post it.. I made several and gave them my family and friends.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 AM
Power Poster

Make an earring tree. Find a fallen tree branch with lots of interesting twiggy bits - go nuts with spray paint, stick it in a earthenware pot with plaster of paris (or similar) to keep it upright and hang your earrings/beads on it. For earrings with posts make a little hanging "card" to poke them into to secure. If you don't have access to a real tree get creative with some wire and make your own.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 AM

Don't keep any jewelry out in the elements, it should always be in an enclosed container. The air and dust will make the pieces turn ugly and you will find yourself cleaning jewelry on a monthly basis, any that's out in the open. Takes a lot of time. Costume jewelry 'metals' turn nasty and fancy necklaces get laced with dust. Not a fan of this idea as you can see, it's a been there done that situation.