Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crocheted baby hats

Thought I'd share what I've been doing. Because my back won't let me sit at the sewing machine all the time, I have other things on the burner for when I recline. These are the latest I've created. I'll be doing some craft fairs next summer.....gotta get busy now!!

Pink swirl cap
    [IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...nkSwirlCap.jpg[/IMG]

Blue multi swirl cap
    [IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...TS/Boyscap.jpg[/IMG]

Pink floppy brim cap
    [IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...ppybrimhat.jpg[/IMG]

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    cute!

Blog Entries
    Those are sooo cute!!! :D
    I can crochet & knit, but I think I'm too ADD to follow a pattern. I always forget where I'm at with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MollieSue
    I can crochet & knit, but I think I'm too ADD to follow a pattern. I always forget where I'm at with them.
    I am, too! If a pattern is complicated and hard to count rows, I use a pencil and check off each row on the pattern. If the pattern says to repeat rows 6-12, I turn the pattern over and write down each row as it's done....LOL - it's the only way to keep track.

Blog Entries
    Good thinking! I'm going to have to give it another try one of these days!
    Your little hats are so cute, I'm betting they'll all sell fast!!

Good thinking! I'm going to have to give it another try one of these days!
    Your little hats are so cute, I'm betting they'll all sell fast!!
    Hope so!!! The last thing I want is a bunch of baby hats hanging around the house... :mrgreen: Our youngest grandchild is 4 so we don't need them....with 11 grandkids, we've had enough, thank you!!! Course, a couple are old enough.........................OMG, don't go there.... :shock:

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I am, too! If a pattern is complicated and hard to count rows, I use a pencil and check off each row on the pattern. If the pattern says to repeat rows 6-12, I turn the pattern over and write down each row as it's done....LOL - it's the only way to keep track.
    Me too!!

Blog Entries
    So cute.

Blog Entries
    Those are adorable!!! I love the pink one :D :D :D

Those are adorable. :D :D :D

I would love one for my little girl!! Can you pm me your prices? Thanks!!

Those are too cute did you use a pattern or make them as you went?

Those are so cute.

Banned
    awwwww those are cute.

so precious ...
    closed door, open windows good show!

Your hats are darling and your work is beautiful. Our woman's group at church makes hats and mittens for all the kids at Head Start every year, I especially love the swirled hat. Is that a commercial pattern or one you would share?

I love your hats. Love to know where you got the patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie
    I love your hats. Love to know where you got the patterns.
    I hope she pops on soon I would love to have a pattern too. Many little ones in the family and you can never have enough warm hats.

Thanks everyone -- sorry I didn't get back to you that request the pattern earlier....we've had company and have been on the go (seems like 24/7!!!!)

I found the pattern on Crochetville.org.....It's actually 2 patterns you have to look at. The first is a video of making a swirl"sponge" and how to put it together. Then there are written instructions on how to make the cap using the spiral sponge technique. There is one thing to remember..... Always do as many rows as you do chain stitches (minus one). If you do 41 chains, you turn and start on 2nd chain from hook...that makes 40 stitches you'll be doing. So you want to make 40 rows. Pay special attention to how they fold and stitch the two ends together....that's the part you have to really get right or it won't "swirl".

Here's the instructions I have:

The pink one is 35 chains, 34 per row and one for turning. Then around 34 rows. Be sure and decrease on one end and increase on the other, so your finished shape is a parallelogram. I'll paste the detailed pattern I modified below, plus links to the sites I used. If you find an error, I apologize in advance. Hopefully, the other sites will be helpful as well.

Here's the link to the Swirl hat pattern. http://www.geocities.com/crochethut/babyswirls.html
    That pattern seemed a little vague to me, so I found this pattern for a scrubbie and modified it for a hat. http://crochetpatternsonly.blogspot.com/

Chain 36. Turn.
    Row 1: Sc 2 together in the 2nd chain from the hook. sc in each chain to the end. 2 sc in the last chain. Ch1. Turn. 35 sc made.
    Row 2: 2 sc in 2nd chain from the hook. Sc in each chain across to the last two stitches, sc2 together. Ch1. Turn. 35 sc made.
    Row: 3: 2 sc together in 2nd chain from the hook. Sc in each chain across to the end, 2 sc in last stitch. (This one is tricky. On row one, the last stitch was the end, so it was easily visible. This time, the last stitch can be hidden from view. It hides because of the turn on the previous row. So count the stitches. If you only have 33, then find that hidden stitch and sc 2 into it. If you have 35, then you've found it.) Chain 1. Turn. 35 sc made.

Repeat Rows 2 & 3 until the desired circumference is reached. I do around 30 total. You should have a parallelogram shape, not a square or rectangle.The number of chains gives you the height of your hat from the top of the head to the forehead. The number of rows will give you the circumference or the length around the head. My oldest daughter had a 15" head. My youngest was 13". The cap will stretch some, so you don't have to worry too much about deviating from the pattern.

Don't fasten off once you've reached this point. Join the end stitches of the first and last rows together with a slip stitch. Chain 1, then sc the first and last rows together. You will end up with a cylinder shape. Now you can fasten off, leaving a tail long enough to gather all the stitches on the end together. Using a yarn needle, weave in and out of the stitches. Once you've weaved the yarn through all the stitches, pull tightly on the tail, this will close this end of the cylinder. It will create the swirl effect. You can now use a contrasting color or your main color yarn, join with a slip stich, chain one and sc round the opposite end of the hat, join with a slip stitch, turn, chain 2, dc in each sc around, using the front loops only. Join with a slip stitch, fasten off. Weave in ends. Turn the brim up and voila.

Thank you I printed them out and will more than likely be working on them tonight or over the weekend, along with some sewing. Just need to put my hooks in my purse before I head for home.

How nice of you to post the pattern and the links!
    Thank you.

Thanks for the pattern. I'm going to share it with my church group.

Your hats are adorable. I especially adore the pink one.

Is there a pattern for the 2nd pink one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie
    Is there a pattern for the 2nd pink one?
    The pattern is here: LINK.....I added more rows in the upper portion and did a different flower. i don't have a pattern for the flower...Just something like:

chain 4, join
    chain 3 (counts as DC), 3 DC in ring, Slip stitch in ring, * repeat until you have 5 petals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast