Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Crocheters...send out a call for help! >

Crocheters...send out a call for help!

Crocheters...send out a call for help!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Oops. I'm sorry! That was coyotequilts sending the photos!! I am too tired to try again now, but I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:07 PM

thank you. I will check it out.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm glad I could help. Just hang in there you'll get it.

I'm just surprised that the pattern didn't call for you to do a base chain---chain 3, slip stitch (sl) in 1st chain (this makes a circle) then you need to get the next row height--HDC is 2 chain, 'turn' then do the half double crochet into the circle you made with the 'chain 3, sl in 1st chain.' I am gonna' do the 3 rows you posted. Something seems funny to me, but until I work it up I can't tell you.

My second love to quilting is crochet. I know HOW to knit, but there are to many stitches to worry about and I really know how to miss stitch several rows before I know I missed them!! With crochet you only need to worry about one loop!

What I really like working with it the # 80 crochet cotton that works up into filet crochet in doilies. I have made 3 'The Last Supper' wall hangings over the years and an oval table cloth plus countless smaller projects. It's easy to do in front of the TV and I like to keep my hands busy. Right now I am working on a shawl for church.

I shall be back after I work this pattern a little.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Sharon, I certainly appreciate you taking such a close look at the pattern! I think it will get easier as I learn to read what I'm doing. I don't really know what all the stitches look like, I guess. Knitting seems easy to me, because I can easily count the stitches! And there are far fewer things to remember! But, I struggled when I began that, too!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 PM

Okay, I worked the 3 rows. The reason you mark the first stitch is so that you know when you are starting the next 'row'. In reality there in no next 'row', you are just stitching around and around the circle. These 3 rows do not lay flat, they start to curl on the second row.

It is an interesting pattern. We need to see a picture when you get it done.

First HDC of '2nd' row
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141861[/ATTACH]

How I put needle through for next row. Some only use one of the loops that forms the 'V'. Some patterns use one loop to make a secondary pattern.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141862[/ATTACH]

Half way done with 2nd row. Sorry for the shadow. Rubber band is the marker for 1st stitch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141863[/ATTACH]

3rd Row done. You can't tell, but it is starting to look like a bowl. I'm almost sure that a few more rows will continue with this type of increase then will go to regular stitching.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141864[/ATTACH]

1st row done. Remember to mark your 1st stitch on each row. See the 'V's are very clear on the edges.Compare to 1st picture in this section.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141865[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141856.jpe   attachment-141857.jpe   attachment-141858.jpe   attachment-141859.jpe   attachment-141860.jpe  

Old 12-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Wow, Sharon!! Thank you so much for your help. It is so generous of you! I'm sure there are many things you could have been doing. Please know that it is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Early in the post you mentioned your need to know what the different stitches look like.
This is a good link that will help you I think.
http://www.woolcrafting.com/crochet-stitches.html
The photos in this one are very good. They are bright and clear. http://crochet.about.com/od/crochets...t_Stitches.htm
I have a book to look at because I can't remember all the abbreciations. Maybe some of your older magazines have the crochet stitches names and photo as well. Some of mine do.
Good luck. I am happy you have such good help. I think the people on the Quilting Board are awesome
Old 12-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Thank you for the links, Dorothy! I just glanced to bookmark them and they look very helpful. I really appreciate all the help! You are ALL awesome.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

It is CoyoteQuilts that is doing all the pics not me :oops: Wish I could take the credit - but it belongs to Coyotequilts :thumbup:

So how are you doing ? any luck yet
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Hi Sharonb! I caught my mistake...I wasn't reading very carefully.

The project is kinda stalled right now in the midst of finishing other Christmas items. It may have to wait until after Christmas. It's for my baby niece coming in February, but I don't think it's going to make it under the tree...(I had wanted to wrap something for her. My brother and SIL are so excited).

I think perhaps that the pattern is not the best for a beginner. I think I have found an easier one in the same style. And since it's a free one (the new one), I may ask some of you crocheters to glance at it and see if it looks easy to follow! My crochet book should be here any day, too.

Thanks for checking. I will keep you posted!