Cruising to Alaska Sunday

Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

have lots of fun! Lucky you. Have you signed up for any fun day excursions? My mom loved traveling to alaska. It seems full of some wonderful history.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM

I'm green! :mrgreen: Have a wonderful time shopping! :lol:
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
have lots of fun! Lucky you. Have you signed up for any fun day excursions? My mom loved traveling to alaska. It seems full of some wonderful history.
We aren't planning any excursions this trip. We are planning just taking in the towns this time. We never really seem to have time to spend much time enjoying the local culture, because we are taking so many excursions.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM

I hope you have a wonderful time. We did an Alaskan Cruise last summer with my husband's family. I was still recovering from Shoulder surgery and subsequent infection and wasn't able to enjoy it as much or take many excursions that required a lot of walking. I'd love to go again sometime when I'm healthy!!! We did get to see a lot of gorgeous sights!!! And I hit quilt shops in every town that had them!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Gee, that's terrible...having to spend that tour money on fabric. he he.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 PM

How exciting!! I can't wait to see photos!! Gini is on this forum and her daughter owns a quilt shop in AK--I hope she comes on board to tell you if it's on your path!! I'll PM her...
Old 05-22-2009, 07:23 PM

You will love the shops in Ketchikan. The 2 I know of and have been to are The Silver Thimble it is a shop to die for. There are 2 levels with fantastic fabric and patterns. One room at the back of the u on the 2nd level have the greatest Alaskan fabrics. It's a quilters heaven.

The next one is the Rainforest also in Ketchikan. They are the Bernina dealer and do have a wonderful line of fabrics. You will find mostly Alaskan fabrics, a lot of the animal fabrics of animals within Alaska.

My DIL's shop is in Coopers Landing. It is near Homer, Kenai about 90 miles from Anchorage.

Have a wonderful time and yes we want pictures.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gini
You will love the shops in Ketchikan. The 2 I know of and have been to are The Silver Thimble it is a shop to die for. There are 2 levels with fantastic fabric and patterns. One room at the back of the u on the 2nd level have the greatest Alaskan fabrics. It's a quilters heaven.

The next one is the Rainforest also in Ketchikan. They are the Bernina dealer and do have a wonderful line of fabrics. You will find mostly Alaskan fabrics, a lot of the animal fabrics of animals within Alaska.

My DIL's shop is in Coopers Landing. It is near Homer, Kenai about 90 miles from Anchorage.

Have a wonderful time and yes we want pictures.
Gini,

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to by some of the Alaska and Wildlife fabrics. I have looked on the web site for Silver Thimble, it does really look like the shop is to die for. If the Rainforest is within walking distance hope to check it out too. We have been to Ketchikan 7 years ago and loved it.

There is suppose to be two in Skagway within walking distance from where we dock.

I will send photos when I return, or maybe even while I am on board. I get free internet access while on board.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM

How far north are you going to travel? Here in Los Anchorage, we have a couple very fine quilt stores, the one downtown caters to Alaskan themes, with lots of Alaskan patterns as well as fabrics. And the owner/buyer LOVES batiks, so there is a great deal of them as well.

Calm seas to you!
M
Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 AM

Have a great trip. The weather here in Anchorage couldn't be better. :D