Cursive Writing

Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 AM

My DGD will in be third grade next year. They went in to meet the teacher they will have next year and found out they will be learning cursive. DD is very happy about that. DD was going to teach her cursive at home if they did not teach it at her school.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a sister-in-law who has printed everything since I've known her (about 40plus years) I have no idea what her handwriting looks like. I think printing takes a lot longer.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 AM

Quiltsrfun, That was funny!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
That was the first thing I thought of, Lori. Then my next thought was how sad it was that they could never read historical documents in their original form. I hope they do bring it back.
DH and I were just saying that. He's sitting at the computer doing genealogy, looking at birth and death records. None of our grandchildren would be able to read them. As it is, DH has to puzzle them out sometimes, and occasionally ask me what I think a word is.

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I have a sister-in-law who has printed everything since I've known her (about 40plus years) I have no idea what her handwriting looks like. I think printing takes a lot longer.
It takes a bit longer, but I print everything too. Nobody can read my cursive, not even me!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
During my first three years of elementary school I went to a system that taught only printing(they still do). Then I went to a system where I was taught cursive writing and have used that ever since. The people I know who learned in a "print" system write as fast or faster than people writing in cursive script. Don't know how they do it these days but I knew a boy once who couldn't sign up for the military until he could write his name cursively. So he had to go home and be taught how to do that.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

24e59d34-4489-11e6-bc99-7d269f8719b1_story.html

It is making a comeback. I heard a podcast a while back and the woman said cursive helps in certain brain areas and in fine motor skills. This article says that too. I don't have a crystal ball, but, I'm thinking it will eventually work its way back. Interesting too, that when cursive was removed, keyboarding (or old time typing) didn't take it's place. At least at any of the schools I would know about.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by selm View Post
During my first three years of elementary school I went to a system that taught only printing(they still do). Then I went to a system where I was taught cursive writing and have used that ever since. The people I know who learned in a "print" system write as fast or faster than people writing in cursive script. Don't know how they do it these days but I knew a boy once who couldn't sign up for the military until he could write his name cursively. So he had to go home and be taught how to do that.
My kids went to a private elementary school in California back in the day which used the "Carden method". I was too young and naive to know what that even was, but, they weren't taught printing first, just cursive. Her theory (true or not - this was a long time ago) was that cursive was easier since once the pencil was on the paper it didn't have to go up and down. Anyway, both sons have nice handwriting and can print if they need to. They only went to that school a few years.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:58 PM

My daughter teaches 4th grade and she teaches cursive writing because the current studies show that it helps the mind with continuous thought. I saw the program today, it was on CBS This Morning, and the teacher arranged for the children to have pen pals at a senior center and the kids said they felt they could better envision the pen pal by using the cursive writing.

I am not so concerned about being able to sign their name in the future since most of that will be done through using finger prints photos. Most credit cards have the chips and no one checks signatures when using the chip here. But there is being able to have a continuous thought and finger dexterity. One thing my mother said she noticed when she got older was being able to write - her penmanship was getting worse. When you write - you move your hand - when you type you tend to rest your wrists below the keyboard. They don't teach typing at all in schools - no one needs it because by the time they get to school they have such bad habits, but they make it work for them, not to mention all the programs you can talk into and it writes it for you.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
Just a thought... is it a signature if it's not in cursive?
It is my understanding that your signature is your signature, what ever that might be. I don't think anyone can tell you what it should look like. One example is a physician's signature, well known for being eligible. Some people make them eligible so they are hard to copy.

In the work I did before I retired, we had to insure that the documents we handled had a signature in the required space, but we were not supposed to question the person about their signature
Old 04-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
It is my understanding that your signature is your signature, what ever that might be. I don't think anyone can tell you what it should look like. One example is a physician's signature, well known for being eligible. Some people make them eligible so they are hard to copy.

In the work I did before I retired, we had to insure that the documents we handled had a signature in the required space, but we were not supposed to question the person about their signature
DD2 worked for a while with a firm that processed checks for banks. (This was about 16-17 years ago, when most people still used checks) She said that any mark in the signature box, even just a straight line, counted as a signature.