cut myself and made a mess

Old 12-17-2010, 06:33 PM

tried a fingure cot today for work. what a joke that was. first thing I did was bang the fingure starting my generator. I think I woke the whole neighborhood with my scream of pain. washed the dog with the cot on and it still got wet. then the dryer blew up the cot and it flew off my fingure. so I left it off. so basically the wound got washed and dried hourly. It feels alot better tonight and has dried up. banged it a few more times with no bleeding. Yes I had my tetnus shot last year. So all is well. one more week of very busy work and I have 2 weeks off. my sewing machine has been calling me! and we get to start our applique blocks!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Please watch for infection! My youngest daughter cut her thumb and it was a very small cut. It got infected and now she has half a thumb.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Ouch! I recently accidently ripped out my pinky fingernail so I know how much a fingernail injury can hurt - I really feel for you! I tried those little finger cots in the shower and my finger still got wet and just hurt more. I hope it gets better soon... Go get checked out if it keeps bleeding!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
tried a fingure cot today for work. what a joke that was. first thing I did was bang the fingure starting my generator. I think I woke the whole neighborhood with my scream of pain. washed the dog with the cot on and it still got wet. then the dryer blew up the cot and it flew off my fingure. so I left it off. so basically the wound got washed and dried hourly. It feels alot better tonight and has dried up. banged it a few more times with no bleeding. Yes I had my tetnus shot last year. So all is well. one more week of very busy work and I have 2 weeks off. my sewing machine has been calling me! and we get to start our applique blocks!
Yes! You have to get better before we start our applique blocks!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Too late for stitches now. There is a maximum time after the injury - if you don't get stitches in the first few hours the skin at the edges of the wound starts to die after that they cannot do stitches as the skin will not heal back together. Try the crazy glue idea - they do use that instead of sutures in some cases. Definitely watch for signs of infection!! Hope you heal up soon!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Watch it carefully, cutting yourself on metal can cause other problems.

I agree. Metal cuts are notoriously problematic. If it continues to open up and bleed, a trip to the doc might be in orger. It might be too late for sutures...best done soon after injury...but they might try steri-strips of the medical form of super glue. When was your last tetanus booster?
Old 12-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
When was your last Tetanus Shot?? (Sorry, nurses have to nag.) If it's been 5+ yrs, check with your doc or a walk-in clinic. They can even put glue or strips on it for you. Take care of yourself and watch out for those attacking florescent light fixtures!!
Oops, should have read all the postings before doing mine, JanRN.

My posting came from my RN background also. I "read" of an injury and the nurse automatically jumps to the foreground!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM

I use a medicine on my horse called "EMT gel"....it will seal the wound and help heal.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
Also extremely important is to watch for ANY signs of infection, redness, a hot feeling, etc as well as those other stitch suggestions. If crazy glue is the glue of life I wonder what Elmers is? Hope all is healed quickly. OUCH!
According to a video I watched, Elmers is for bindings!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Sounds like you may need some sutures? If you think it is a clean cut, you can go to a drug store and purchase some steri-strips to put on it to hold it together until it heals. I use them all the time for minor things. But, I am a nurse and know how how quick these can become infected with the best of care. So, keep it clean and dry!
Sewnique