Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dangers of electic blankets and quilts >

Dangers of electic blankets and quilts

Dangers of electic blankets and quilts

Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 AM

wow . . .thanks for the warning. I don't sleep with one either . . .but was actually trying to talk my hubby into one since he prefers to turn the thermostat up to 81 degrees . . .yuk LOL Now will have to rethink my strategy before my skin and nasal passages dry up and blow away :)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 AM

God bless your daughters!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Oh gosh....thank goodness he wasn't hurt and that this was the only damage. Its bad enough as is..but could have been sooo much worse! Thanks for posting!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 AM

Thank you for the wake-up call. I got the message loud and clear.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 AM

Thank you for sharing, and Praise the LORD little one is safe!! I hate electric blankets but I did not know about this danger!! I have always used a poly batting but now I must rethink this. My sister and bil sleep with an electric blanket and heating pads under a quilt I made for them with (you guessed it) a poly batt! N ow I need to call her and tell her STOP!!! I will make her another quilt to help her adjust!!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM

I've been using electric blankets and electric matress pads my entire life. I've never had a problem. My guess is that the blanket was faulty, but I would hesitate to condemn all of them. Lots of things catch fire--space heaters, dishwashers, electrical outlets, heating pads, in general because they are faulty in some way.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I've been using electric blankets and electric matress pads my entire life. I've never had a problem. My guess is that the blanket was faulty, but I would hesitate to condemn all of them. Lots of things catch fire--space heaters, dishwashers, electrical outlets, heating pads, in general because they are faulty in some way.
If you are going to use an electric blanket, with or without other blankets or quilts, I would definitely read all the fine print on the labels and warnings. Personally, I will choose not to risk a fire by using an electric blanket. We all have to evaluate what level of risk we are willing to assume. I'll pre-warm my bed with rice bags and cuddle under quilts!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Ouch!
I quilt using an electric blanket when i got kitties. They love to kneed/knit and I was afraid they would cause an electrical short or bite the wire. Comfy quilts are so much safer.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM

When my sons got out on there own I used to tell them to watch out for electric blankets! What I all ways here oh you allways about something that never happens will wait till I tell them now!!!!!
thanks for letting me know!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 AM

I am a very cold person & can not get warm or stay warm, hence the electric blanket for me is a life saver. I also use a quilt on top of it. I find the new eblankets don't get as warm as the older ones did. I will think about this every time I turn my blanket on (now only use it in the winter instead of all summer long too).