debit card fraud

Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Google Goddess

glad to hear that things worked out for you

Originally Posted by TN Donna
I called my bank thismorning and found that the man who called me yesterday was legit. He saved me from a big scam. The bank said my card had been cancelled and they are sending me a new card.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

So much of this stuff happening and I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. Just people trying to take from others, much easier than working to get what they want. We don't have debit cards and with all the problems I have heard with them I don't want one, either use cash, check or CC.
Daughter had a CC company when they bought Amish bedroom set and when they bought an expensive mattress. Mine has never called to see if we made a purchase or not.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Definitely call the bank yourself and cancel the card.

I found a debit card on the ground at Walmart the other day. That poor woman is probably very upset right now and worried to death. Did I turn it in to customer service? No, I did not. I don't trust them. Did I try to find the person in the phone book? I thought about it, but no, I did not. If someone had used the card fraudulently before I found it, I would get the blame. And it was a pretty common name around here. I might have given it to the wrong person. So I brought the card home and cut it to pieces and threw it in the trash.

I could have called the card company to report that I had found it, but like I said, what if someone else had used it before I found it? I also could have left it on the ground where I found it but I'd like to think I did someone a huge favor by picking it up and destroying it.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Definitely call the bank yourself and cancel the card.

I found a debit card on the ground at Walmart the other day. That poor woman is probably very upset right now and worried to death. Did I turn it in to customer service? No, I did not. I don't trust them. Did I try to find the person in the phone book? I thought about it, but no, I did not. If someone had used the card fraudulently before I found it, I would get the blame. And it was a pretty common name around here. I might have given it to the wrong person. So I brought the card home and cut it to pieces and threw it in the trash.

I could have called the card company to report that I had found it, but like I said, what if someone else had used it before I found it? I also could have left it on the ground where I found it but I'd like to think I did someone a huge favor by picking it up and destroying it.
It's quite a dilemma, isn't it, when we find someone else's card?! A few months back, I found someone's CC at the airport, in the slot of one of those self check-in kiosks. I debated whether to turn it into security, etc., but worried that they might not do the right thing (sorry, don't mean to offend or insult anyone).

I felt very responsible for the CC. I was hoping that the owner would return; I could then check additional ID to confirm it was the right person. Unfortunately, no one showed up. So, I called the number on the back of the card, explained what happened, and asked them to cancel the card. They asked my name, gave them just my first name. I knew that this would probably inconvenience the owner but felt it was better to err on the side of caution.