Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Decorating the Christmas tree >

Decorating the Christmas tree

Decorating the Christmas tree

Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM

My tree will go in the corner of the room this year. The back will not be decorated at the bottom. That way the tree can get closer to the wall.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:37 PM

I wasn't going to put a tree up, but my mother asked me to make sure we do an old fashioned Christmas like always. It's just dh and myself and Christmas day we will go get mom from the nursing home and bring her here for the day. She wants to smell the turkey cooking and all the other stuff too. NO money to buy gifts this year to many medical bills.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 PM

I have to decorate the back, it does face the window, but the main reason is most of my ornaments are either gifts, or were homemade and I have so many, some have to go on the back or they would not all go on the tree. I have 17 large totes of Christmas stuff to put out, and love doing it each and every year.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I am not a huge fan of Christmas, but my husband LOVES it...with the kitchen renos. underway he hasn't mentioned the tree yet, but it will be up within a week I imagine. We have a large potted pine that gets brought in every year, decorated to within an inch of it's life and dragged back out again on 12th night. This year my husband even did Christmas in July and we had the smaller potted silver green pine tree set up. I am hoping the kitchen will be up and running a week before Christmas Day, otherwise it will be a total nightmare catering for everyone he has invited. Don't mean to be a bah humbugging type....but it does get a bit exhausting (and I'd rather be quilting).
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM

How delightful to hear about your tree. I find it very comforting to know another Sherri B. decorated a tree after Thanksgiving. My daughter in law, Sherri B, came up with our son and family the day after Thanksgiving and got our Christmas stuff out of the shed (where it has been for the past 20 or so years) and decorated our home for the Christmas festivities. I, too, have neglected putting up a tree, decorating etc. for the last 20 years because we were never home for Christmas anyway. Always going to the 'kids' homes, taking turns, etc. They never came "home" for Christmas until this year and they all 3 and their families will be here at least for the day. Lots of work to get everything ready. Looking forward to the day and hope I'll not be too let down when it is over. Pray for us all.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM

I put my ugly decorations in the back. They are the ones that have sentimental value so I can't get rid of them.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 PM

I just have to tell my little story. Last year, we were working at a high elevation, and since I couldn't be with my family for Christmas, I asked God to at least give me a white Christmas to enjoy. By three o'clock on Christmas day, we had 8 feet of snow, and it was still coming down. needless to say, I am a bit more selective about what I ask for now, This year, I just hope I can get DH home and felling better
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM

We decorate the whole tree. I have so many ornaments we still have extras left over after we decorate. I am going to do two trees this year. One in the living room as usual and one in my new sewing room when I get it done. Just for me.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 AM

I skip the whole darned tree!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 AM

I decorate all the way around the tree. Too anal about that. Other than our annual Christmas party, no one comes during the holidays. DH's son has Christmas at his house. Nice with the kids, but DIL won't say two words to us. I get tired sometimes of all the work for just a few hours of a party. But I don't ever want to be a humbug...my mother was and I hated that!