Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Decorating the Christmas tree >

Decorating the Christmas tree

Decorating the Christmas tree

Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM

I decorate all the way around, but I use my least favorite ornaments for the back.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:32 AM

I do tend to put the less attractive ones in the back, also ones my girls made for us when the were young. If I put them in the front they would probably try to take them. I told them that the ornaments belong to us since they were gifts. I have a bad habit of keeping nearly every decoration we ever got. It's my way of recalling so many good times. My mother loved to decorate for Christmas and created many fun displays. I think I miss her most at this time of year, but I feel a little like she's with me when I am putting up each decoration.....So, yes I have to use the entire tree.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 AM

here is the little tree I put up in the living room, my MIL still can't get up the stairs so we are putting the big tree downstairs for her, (in the sewing room) I am putting that one up today. My neighbors boyfriend wont let her put up a tree, but her house faces my window so i leave the blinds and curtains open so she can still sorta have a tree lol

this is an ornament that I received last year, I love it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]136557[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-136551.jpe   attachment-136552.jpe  
Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 AM

I can't decide whether to put up the artificial tree this year or get a fresh one. My son is working at a Christmas tree farm on weekends before Christmas. Maybe I should have him bring home a small one. I also have one of those aluminum trees that I bought on eBay one year...color wheel and all! That one is fun for the antique ornaments. Right now, I'm just wishing I had more time before Christmas. It hasn't been a good year for us. My husband lost his job last year and has been out of work. I'm kind of scared about spending money on Christmas and worried about what lies ahead for us in this awful economy. I know alot of people in the same boat as we are and that makes it even more scary!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 AM

I always decorate my tree Dec, 24th, when Xmas is reallly around,
Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Reminds me of when my daughter was a toddler...she wanted to "pretty the tree". We tied it up, to prevent tipping over, decorated the upper part our way....then she made paper chains & decorated the bottom...I let her do this any time she wanted to...not to many needles left by Christmas day...but one happy little girl.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM

One year, many years ago, I bought a tree for almost "FREE" because it had no back. It was one sided and man could not understand why I wanted it. It was going against a way. J J
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM

We put ours up in an archway so all sides are exposed. I need a lot of ornaments. The first year I was married I made a lot of my own beaded ornaments from kits from Lee Wards. Then they were going out of business and I bought more of the kits. These are my favorites. My one requirement for my husband was that I wanted a dated ornament every year. He forgot 2 different years and I still went out and got one for myself, but I want him to pick it out. Now the kids make sure he gets one for me. I have 2 glass ornaments from my mother that were from her first tree during WWII. They couldn't use metal then because all metal was used for the war efforts.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Its really cute and lots of ornaments. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
We got the tree up and have mostly decorated. It is a good size artificial, bought many years ago. It sits in front of the smaller window in the living room and faces the side yard. We never decorate the back of the tree--it is hard to reach and no one can see it. (The window is high from ground and you would need a ladder to see it.) We do put lights all the way around the tree because you can see the glow from the window.

I am just curious, does anyone else skip the back of the tree?
I moved into the home I am still in on November 28th, twelve years ago. We were remodeling and living at the same time in this house. When I found the box with my new pre-lit tree I decided to just put the tree up in the living room window and we could enjoy the lights at night, no decorations what ever, even though we were neck high in boxes. Everyone in the neighborhood gave me fits because they thought we had out done them by moving in and having a tree up three days later. We laughed every year afterwards right up until my love passed away. To this day I always light up this tree for a few nights before decorating it because it brings back beautiful memories. My husband always said if we moved again he wanted to do it just before Christmas so we could repeat this experience. It's your tree and you should enjoy it with or with out decorations on one side. I usually don't put much on the back of my tree either because no one sees anything below the window and then I have lots and lots of decorations for the sides and front. Enjoy