Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: To defrag or not to defrag??

Blog Entries
    That is my dilemma...my puter is really slow. I've done a virus scan..cleaned up 3. Cleaned the disc. and deleted lots of old software that I don't use. Moved all my pictures to a CD and deleted those..now..should I defrag??? I have never done it on this 4 yr. old computer. I know..I know...shame on me, but when I did it to my last puter..it deleted a .dll file and I had to buy a whole new puter! So...

Someone on here at one time told us something else to do rather than defrag...I just can't remember what it was...

So...to do it??? or not????

When I go to defrag screen, it does an "analysis" for me to let me know if I need it. Do you have a lot of pictures? My guess is that it certainly wouldn't hurt to defrag. My husband has me check it every few months.

What helped with my computer was to buy some more memory. The speed was almost doubled.

Maria

I defrag, once a month. I just cleans everything up and puts everything in the right location, so to speak.

there is a free site called CCLEANER that will take off all the "shadows" of things on your PC Will NOT take off anything "saved" Mine was very slow and I ran that and now it is much faster. PIctures will take up all kinds of room. When you go from place to place on your PC it saves a copy of it to the Reg. each time you go there. I have bunches and bunches of pictures on mine and I clean it about once a week.

Good to run on the main menu. Type in prefetch. It will bring up a ton of things that need to be deleted. Delete everything there. It will speed up your computer a lot. It is just where things wwe look at get stored.

My son in law told me about a little device,right at the moment I have forgot what it is called.I wrote it down but can't find it now. that you can put your pictures on it is small and you can carry it on your key chain. That way it cleans off your computer.I as the guy at the pc store he had one I t hink a little over $20 I alos need to add more space to mine. Just can't get any money ahead to do it with.

I defrag once a month and I also run my program to compress my files. That helps alot. It is located the same place you do a defrag.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty44
    My son in law told me about a little device,right at the moment I have forgot what it is called.I wrote it down but can't find it now. that you can put your pictures on it is small and you can carry it on your key chain. That way it cleans off your computer.I as the guy at the pc store he had one I t hink a little over $20 I alos need to add more space to mine. Just can't get any money ahead to do it with.
    Is that a zip drive?

I is always good to compress files and defrag from time to time. All defrag does is move files around so that there are no "empty" places on your hard drive from deleting files/folders and temp files. I don't know what you did in the past, but it will not delete any files.

PQ

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty44
    Is that a zip drive?
    I wonder if it is a memory stick.

Blog Entries
    this is a summary, really, of what you've read above. to speed up your computer:

1. buy as much RAM (memory) for it as the motherboard and your budget allow. everyone who's suggested that is absolutely correct. before you plunk down the dough for RAM, though, compare that cost to the price of a new computer. sometimes you're better off buying the new one. after four years, a new computer will be bazillions times faster than an old one with the maximum RAM. (obviously, a decision best made by you and your wallet. :wink: )

2. definitely run Disk Cleanup and then defrag the drive at least once a month.

if you accidentally delete a critical file, such as a .dll, you don't need to replace the computer. if you don't have that file somewhere on a backup disc, you can either reinstall the program that depends on it or run the Windows repair utility. (to do this, run the Windows setup as though you were going to install it for the first time, but choose the repair option instead.) the worst thing you'll need to do is a complete reinstallation of Windows. you CAN do that without deleting all your data files. you may have to reinstall all your programs when you're done.

3. a storage device you can hang on a key chain is most likely an external USB drive (also called thumb drives, memory sticks, and jump drives.) if you copy files to the drive, the originals will stay on your hard drive until you delete them. if you MOVE the files to the external drive, you'll copy them to the external drive and automatically delete them from the hard drive. i don't usually move. i copy, and check to make sure they all stored properly to the external drive before i delete them from the hard drive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammo013
    Good to run on the main menu. Type in prefetch. It will bring up a ton of things that need to be deleted. Delete everything there. It will speed up your computer a lot. It is just where things wwe look at get stored.
    Thats what it was!!! prefetch!!!! It sped up my puter tremendously when I did it before but I forgot what it was...DUH...

And I think I am going to buy a few USB sticks to save all my embroidery stuff on and another for pics. That way if..not when something bad happens to the machine..I won't loose all my stuff.

Thanks all!

Defrag is really important and should be done atleastttttt once a month :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrice...I am thinking that I'll just go ahead and buy a new laptop...they really do want to sell them right now with the economy being bad and all. When things improve, I might not be able to get as good of a deal on one. :wink:

I think Patty44 might be talking about a flash drive or some people call them thumb drives. They are about the size of your thumb and you can transfer files from one computer to another and they are usually sold on a lanyard or as a keychain attachment. I have one on a lanyard and I use it to transfer files from my laptop to my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    this is a summary, really, of what you've read above. to speed up your computer:

1. buy as much RAM (memory) for it as the motherboard and your budget allow. everyone who's suggested that is absolutely correct. before you plunk down the dough for RAM, though, compare that cost to the price of a new computer. sometimes you're better off buying the new one. after four years, a new computer will be bazillions times faster than an old one with the maximum RAM. (obviously, a decision best made by you and your wallet. :wink: )

2. definitely run Disk Cleanup and then defrag the drive at least once a month.

if you accidentally delete a critical file, such as a .dll, you don't need to replace the computer. if you don't have that file somewhere on a backup disc, you can either reinstall the program that depends on it or run the Windows repair utility. (to do this, run the Windows setup as though you were going to install it for the first time, but choose the repair option instead.) the worst thing you'll need to do is a complete reinstallation of Windows. you CAN do that without deleting all your data files. you may have to reinstall all your programs when you're done.

3. a storage device you can hang on a key chain is most likely an external USB drive (also called thumb drives, memory sticks, and jump drives.) if you copy files to the drive, the originals will stay on your hard drive until you delete them. if you MOVE the files to the external drive, you'll copy them to the external drive and automatically delete them from the hard drive. i don't usually move. i copy, and check to make sure they all stored properly to the external drive before i delete them from the hard drive.

Thanks Patrice, USB drive. Why can't I remember that. Tee Hee

Blog Entries
    Why is there a pop up of Rhonda's Boston Blocks in the middle of this thread???

Blog Entries
    not to worry. it's a sanctioned advertisement.

Blog Entries
    Well...huh....never saw that before. :wink:

Whenever I delete my temp files my computer seems to run faster. I was told those files take up a chunk of space. Under "Control Panel" click on "Internet Options" and select the browsing history category. I only delete the temp files, not the others. Then run a defrag and maybe you'll notice a difference?

Blog Entries
    Deleting prefetch seemed to help the most. I did the defrag after that and now it seems to be a little slower. Maybe in the moring after it sleeps it will be better....otherwise...I'm thinking that a hammer will help :twisted:

Blog Entries
    In the run command window type %temp% and it will bring up all the temp files stored on your computer. You do not need them so go to Edit and click on Select All then go to File and click delete. Also I found this free program that will clean up registry files. It does a great job.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

Another free program I use is called PC Fixer.

http://www.digitalsupporttech.com/

Banned
    Defrag! Defrag!