Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: DGK Sewing Projects

Blog Entries

DGK Sewing Projects

Had the pleasure of 2 of my grandkids visiting this past weekend. My DGD wanted to make PJs for her 18" doll. Sew... I printed out the pattern for her, taught how to cut on the lines, then I pinned the pattern and she cut them out of the fabric. Next was onto one of my vintage machines. She sewed everything herself except the cuffs on the legs and sleeves, the neckline and the velcro. We glued the seams for the shoulders so she wouldn't have to work with pins in such a short space. Then she worked with pulling pins out on the straight seams before sewing over them. Needless to say she was very proud of her accomplishment.

My DGS wanted to make a pillow for his beloved cat, Thomas. I sewed the pillow form and then taught him how to unfluff the stuffing and to fill the corners first, then the rest of the pillow. I thought he did a very good job. His sister offered to hand sew the opening closed. He was so thrilled with it I sent him home with the rest of the stuffing and sewed a larger pillow form for him to stuff at home. Sister offered to sew that opening closed also. Can't wait for photos.

They both enjoyed sewing on a few of my vintage machines (without thread), one being a 1989 treadle. They sewed various shapes with computer paper, perforating the paper and the separating the paper. My grandson has learned to thread my Singer 401A by himself. DGD isn't quite interested yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 04-27-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Nice job. Sounds like a fun time was had by all! And wonderful memories were made. You are rich beyond mesure!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    nicely done and a great skill for them to learn
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Very nice projects. Hopefully they stay interested.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    What a fun weekend you must have had! It look like the kids are really proud of their accomplishments too!!!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Very nice projects. Hopefully they stay interested.
    Yes, I hope so also. My DGD is 7 and she actually showed more interest and stuck to it. My DGS was very interested when I told him I wanted to teach him to oil my machine but when it came time, going out doors was more enticing... normal! The machine we were talking about is a 401A which he knows goes to him once he is old enough. He is 9.
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 04-27-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    What a fun weekend you must have had! It look like the kids are really proud of their accomplishments too!!!
    Thanks. Yes, they were both really glad to be taking a finished project home. We were sewing and cutting out new projects while Mom and their step Dad were packing. A new twist for them but then, it was a short 3 day visit.

A new thing I did was to draw the stitching line for DGD to sew on. That was a big help.
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 04-27-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Linda

Blog Entries
    I told my son it was like driving a car, and he learned how to sew. it is similar, you have a gas pedal and you're the stearing wheel. It looks like it was a productive weekend, and you all had fun.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

That is terrific. I remember sewing with my Dad's mother and so enjoyed myself. She wasn't a quilter but her half sister was and she was the one that started to get me on the road to being a quilter that I am today.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

That's wonderful! 2 of my granddaughter's have used my Elna with help. I am going to see if I can get them 1 at a time this summer and work with them individually on basic sewing skills and then either help them make a quilt or some 10" doll clothes. I now have 3 that are old enough to do this with. Between working a FT job and spending evenings with the girls I will be busy!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am so jealous. My DGKs are up north. Beautiful kids and doll and pillow are cute.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your kind comments. Tessagin, I know how you feel. I don't get my DGC nearly enough.

Linda

How nice to have your grandchildren share your hobby. They did very well on their projects.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

What fun! Hope my DGD wants to learn someday. All she cares about now are video games!
    Margaret F

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing pictures of a normal family doing wonderful things...passing on knowledge to the next generation.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Great memory making time

ditto what Judith1005 said and both are just toooooo cute!!! can't wait to see if my two are going to learn to sew this summer...so far they are very interested....good sewing teq' you showed you DGD....I'll have to keep the glue ones in mind!

I have taught all 4 of my grandchildren to sew--even the boys. They enjoy it as well.

Sounds like fun. Sounds like the GK get along well, also. Nice of Sis to sew the seams for her brother.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    Sounds like fun. Sounds like the GK get along well, also. Nice of Sis to sew the seams for her brother.

Thank you. I have to chuckle a bit, Mom says they spend a lot of time fighting. Although, they don't usually fight over sewing. My DGD was taught how to thread a needle and do some basic sewing by her 12 year old cousin in the past few months. I think she is just at a stage where enjoys it. Mind you, she is 7 and he is 9. They both sew when they come to my house and I also bring a machine when I travel to see them. There first question when we arrive is, "which machine did you bring Grandma?" Oh, and they both want to get one like my Bernina Artista with the down needle button and the reverse button. LOL

Linda

Neat that both kids are interested in sewing, and enjoy learning from you! Way to go, Grandma!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    Nice job. Sounds like a fun time was had by all! And wonderful memories were made. You are rich beyond mesure!
    Yes.. wonderful memories.. I also do this with my grandaughters

Power Poster
    what a nice time spent with each other...