Diaper pattern

Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 AM

Default Options

[JoAnns sells a tool and the snaps. They also have the Pul fabric and terry cloth or diaper flannel, all of which you can use coupons for.

There are several patterns for free online for diapers as well as other needed items.

Hope this helps.

QUOTE=lwbuchholz;7484750]I made fitted cloth diapers for my babies back in the dinosaur days. I used safety pins to close them snaps are expensive. I wouldn't put snaps in the inside to hold anything since it is next to the baby's skin and might irritate. I used an insert I could buy at the store in a box like a Kleenex box and laid a sheet inside the diaper. the sheet could be thrown out and saved a lot of "messy" diapers to clean. At that time the disposable were just coming in and my kids were allergic to them. Those have changed a lot. I don't have a pattern anymore for the cloth diapers but I may be able to remake one.
Lynda[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

For no longer than the little one will be in diapers, I would either stick to what she's used to or just buy the cloth diapers and the vinyl/rubber pants or diaper service. Before they know it she'll be ready for potty training unless she has been traumatized for some awful reason. I had 4 dozen diapers to start when my boys were little and used disposable for travel. Will take more fabric to make diapers than one realizes. She could check into that company of which I have no affiliation but a coworker uses. "Honest Company" She could try it then if she liked it proceed.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:43 PM

When my kids were babies, I had no choice but to use cloth diapers; they were allergic to disposables. There are several websites that have patterns for making diapers.
Sharon in TX
Old 03-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

Cloth diapers are so much better for the baby's skin than disposables full of gelatin chemicals that swell up with use. Diapers are meant to be changed when wet, not left on for hours even if they are disposables and are not leaking. If a parent is attentive to their child they will see when the diaper needs to be changed.

I had two in cloth diapers at once and we doubled the diapers-- so four dipes were in use at once. It wasnt really that big a deal if you have plenty of diapers. One load washes a ton of diapers.

I would make the diapers so they do NOT open at the crotch (minimizing leakage)... but rather have wide velcro closures on either side-- where traditional diapers would be pinned.

I recommend cloth diapers over disposables, any day! Kudos to your daughter, RedStilettos!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 AM

The Honest Company does carry great diapers, they are disposable but I think they are made better with less chemicals and odor free compared to the other brand name diapers.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 AM

There are several tutorials out there. Google --making cloth diapers. Joann's has the Babyville Boutique line which includes books, tools, snaps and fabrics but it's all quite price unless you use your coupons. McCall's has pattern M6108 which has the cloth diaper cover. Pinterest has lots of stuff if you search cloth diapers. There is also a site called diapersewingsupplies.com that has lots of info and stuff you can buy if you want to search that site. My soon to be daughter-in-law has been very determined not to use disposable diapers or a diaper service. She loves all the new multi-snap diapers but they are expensive to buy new, as much as $17 each. Notice that each word. She has purchased some on Etsy and Craigs list. Those mothers who have used them say they are really the best for babies and the environment and have excellent resale value. I've purchased some of the supplies from Babyville but have yet to give it a go. I have made the inserts using cotton batting scraps (you need 4 layers) and a changing mat that has flannel on both sides with a plastic piece in between layers. I picked up a few at the thrift stores for 50 cents each. So much info out there if you want to take the time to look through it all. Like I said, You Tube and Pinterest have tons of stuff. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:03 AM

This thread made me chuckle! I used cloth diapers and added velcro to them so I didn't have to use pins but the funny part to me was just this morning I was going through a bag of baby things hat I had stored ( my youngest baby is 28) and it is mostly cloth diapers! My Daughter-in-laws refuse to use them. I was looking to see if I had anything for my very soon to be grandson.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

My DD was all into cloth diapers with her first. I said have at it but if I keep the baby while you work it will be Pampers for me. I don't have time for all that diaper mess. After a couple of months she decided the mess, the washing, the hassle of cloth wasn't worth it. And the fact baby got a bad rash from having a wet diaper on for two hours while sleeping. It was Pampers from then on. Disposable diapers are much better now then they use to be. The wetness does not stay against the skin. I can't imagine having a toddler in cloth diapers. A car seat or stroller will be stinking to high heaven in no time.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 AM

I sure can't be of any help! I had all of my four children potty trained earlier than 16 months of age.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
I sure can't be of any help! I had all of my four children potty trained earlier than 16 months of age.
Wow, that is great. Both of mine were potty trained and no wet beds by age 3 with not much help from me other then changing their wet clothes. I didn't stress over them going to the potty so they learned pretty much on their own. Grandboy is 2 and getting the hang of the potty chair by watching his older brother who is three and fully potty trained, no bed wetting. The three year old learned on his own pretty much as his parents worked all day and I kept him five days a week and told him I expected him to use the potty chair when he had to go potty. I didn't reward him if he did or make a big fuss if he didn't.