Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Diaper pattern

Diaper pattern

I know this isn't quilting related, but it is sewingrelated, so I hope some of you veterans can help me out.

My daughter and son-in-law are hoping to adopt his niece,who is about 16 months old. My daughterwants to use
    cloth diapers and has asked me to make some all-in-onediapers with snaps and gussets in the legs. She wants to have

The soaker/diaper part be able to snap in the crotch area aswell so they can be easily removed.

Anyone have a pattern for something like that? I have seen some on the internet but nonereally seem easily
    understood to my very limited experience in this sort ofthing…..

??

Blog Entries
    good grief! I can't be of any help in these. sorry. Good luck on doing all that.

LOL Texan......that's exactly what I thought!

Sorry, I have no experience with the all-in-one version. Years ago, I did make cloth diapers with Velcro closures and elastic for leg openings and partial waistband (I purchased the diaper covers that were similar to the diaper design). These worked great until each kid was about a year old. Then I found that the cloth diapers and covers just couldn`t contain the wet. I was changing their entire outfit (except socks) every time I changed a diaper. The cloth diapers went from being easy, to generating oodles of laundry and lengthy diaper changes. I gave up and switched to disposables. I am sure that diaper design has improved since I made mine but be aware that they might not work as well as you want.

There is a big comfort difference between cloth and disposables diapers. Cloth demands immediate changes while disposables can be worn the whole day (a slight exaggeration - the kids does not feel uncomfortable in a wet disposable). At 16 months, this girl will be used to her diapers and if she has not been using cloth diapers, she isn`t going to be very happy with a change. On the plus side, she might decide that she wants to be potty trained ASAP.

If it was me, I would consider a diaper service to test out if cloth diapers will work for this family. And secondly, if they decide to continue with cloth diapers, I am thinking it will not be for long because both the changee and changer will want her trained!

OR if this girl has had only disposable diapers then I would continue with them. (I hate disposables so this is a hard recommendation for me to make) Introducing another change when she will be experiencing many changes, doesn`t seem fair.

Wonderful that your daughter and son-in-law are able to help this little girl.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    My-ty makes the best argument for not making changes for this wee one right off.
    Nonetheless there are many mom-and-baby sites where this sort of information can be gained, try googling for some. Also try Tipnut.com.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

You know....I hadn't thought of that. This is coming as such a fast surprise, I think we are all in a little state of shock. I am proud of both of them to help her out and I know she will be welcomed into a loving household.

But never Ever thought of the change....hm.....

Thanks for the input

I agree with My-Ty, also. But if they are set on trying cloth diapers I would strongly suggest using a diaper service first. My DD wanted cloth diapers at first, environment, etc. After the first few days she was done and went to disposable for many reasons.

Blessings to them all as they become a new family.

Another thing to consider is if the child will be going to day care. They will not use cloth, only disposables.

Blog Entries
    She may change her mind, after she washes them out for a week.

I made fitted cloth diapers for my babies back in the dinosaur days. I used safety pins to close them snaps are expensive. I wouldn't put snaps in the inside to hold anything since it is next to the baby's skin and might irritate. I used an insert I could buy at the store in a box like a Kleenex box and laid a sheet inside the diaper. the sheet could be thrown out and saved a lot of "messy" diapers to clean. At that time the disposable were just coming in and my kids were allergic to them. Those have changed a lot. I don't have a pattern anymore for the cloth diapers but I may be able to remake one.
    Lynda

Options

[JoAnns sells a tool and the snaps. They also have the Pul fabric and terry cloth or diaper flannel, all of which you can use coupons for.

There are several patterns for free online for diapers as well as other needed items.

Hope this helps.

QUOTE=lwbuchholz;7484750]I made fitted cloth diapers for my babies back in the dinosaur days. I used safety pins to close them snaps are expensive. I wouldn't put snaps in the inside to hold anything since it is next to the baby's skin and might irritate. I used an insert I could buy at the store in a box like a Kleenex box and laid a sheet inside the diaper. the sheet could be thrown out and saved a lot of "messy" diapers to clean. At that time the disposable were just coming in and my kids were allergic to them. Those have changed a lot. I don't have a pattern anymore for the cloth diapers but I may be able to remake one.
    Lynda[/QUOTE]

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For no longer than the little one will be in diapers, I would either stick to what she's used to or just buy the cloth diapers and the vinyl/rubber pants or diaper service. Before they know it she'll be ready for potty training unless she has been traumatized for some awful reason. I had 4 dozen diapers to start when my boys were little and used disposable for travel. Will take more fabric to make diapers than one realizes. She could check into that company of which I have no affiliation but a coworker uses. "Honest Company" She could try it then if she liked it proceed.

When my kids were babies, I had no choice but to use cloth diapers; they were allergic to disposables. There are several websites that have patterns for making diapers.
    Sharon in TX

Cloth diapers are so much better for the baby's skin than disposables full of gelatin chemicals that swell up with use. Diapers are meant to be changed when wet, not left on for hours even if they are disposables and are not leaking. If a parent is attentive to their child they will see when the diaper needs to be changed.

I had two in cloth diapers at once and we doubled the diapers-- so four dipes were in use at once. It wasnt really that big a deal if you have plenty of diapers. One load washes a ton of diapers.

I would make the diapers so they do NOT open at the crotch (minimizing leakage)... but rather have wide velcro closures on either side-- where traditional diapers would be pinned.

I recommend cloth diapers over disposables, any day! Kudos to your daughter, RedStilettos!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Honest Company does carry great diapers, they are disposable but I think they are made better with less chemicals and odor free compared to the other brand name diapers.

Blog Entries
    There are several tutorials out there. Google --making cloth diapers. Joann's has the Babyville Boutique line which includes books, tools, snaps and fabrics but it's all quite price unless you use your coupons. McCall's has pattern M6108 which has the cloth diaper cover. Pinterest has lots of stuff if you search cloth diapers. There is also a site called diapersewingsupplies.com that has lots of info and stuff you can buy if you want to search that site. My soon to be daughter-in-law has been very determined not to use disposable diapers or a diaper service. She loves all the new multi-snap diapers but they are expensive to buy new, as much as $17 each. Notice that each word. She has purchased some on Etsy and Craigs list. Those mothers who have used them say they are really the best for babies and the environment and have excellent resale value. I've purchased some of the supplies from Babyville but have yet to give it a go. I have made the inserts using cotton batting scraps (you need 4 layers) and a changing mat that has flannel on both sides with a plastic piece in between layers. I picked up a few at the thrift stores for 50 cents each. So much info out there if you want to take the time to look through it all. Like I said, You Tube and Pinterest have tons of stuff. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Want to make new friends?
    Become a quilter!

This thread made me chuckle! I used cloth diapers and added velcro to them so I didn't have to use pins but the funny part to me was just this morning I was going through a bag of baby things hat I had stored ( my youngest baby is 28) and it is mostly cloth diapers! My Daughter-in-laws refuse to use them. I was looking to see if I had anything for my very soon to be grandson.

My DD was all into cloth diapers with her first. I said have at it but if I keep the baby while you work it will be Pampers for me. I don't have time for all that diaper mess. After a couple of months she decided the mess, the washing, the hassle of cloth wasn't worth it. And the fact baby got a bad rash from having a wet diaper on for two hours while sleeping. It was Pampers from then on. Disposable diapers are much better now then they use to be. The wetness does not stay against the skin. I can't imagine having a toddler in cloth diapers. A car seat or stroller will be stinking to high heaven in no time.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I sure can't be of any help! I had all of my four children potty trained earlier than 16 months of age.

Quote Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
    I sure can't be of any help! I had all of my four children potty trained earlier than 16 months of age.
    Wow, that is great. Both of mine were potty trained and no wet beds by age 3 with not much help from me other then changing their wet clothes. I didn't stress over them going to the potty so they learned pretty much on their own. Grandboy is 2 and getting the hang of the potty chair by watching his older brother who is three and fully potty trained, no bed wetting. The three year old learned on his own pretty much as his parents worked all day and I kept him five days a week and told him I expected him to use the potty chair when he had to go potty. I didn't reward him if he did or make a big fuss if he didn't.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.