Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

I had a little wooden box, not exactly a chest, and I had some table scarves that I croched edging and embroidered flowers on, a couple sets of pillow cases that I embroidered. I croched some doilies and tea towels. Odd and end dishes for pretty things. 8 place settings flat ware, butcher knife, a few towels from Breeze, and every recipe that I came across. I got a set of blue willow dishes from Ben Franklins for graduation and of course it went in there. Then for Christmas that same year I bought myself a cheap set of pots and pans. I came from a mountain background and we had slim pickens, but we were a happy bunch!

Blog Entries
    No I never had a hope chest, but I love hearing about all the things you put into yours!

I had a padded topped toy box that we recovered with a white paisley embossed vinyl and then lined with white lame'. It only held linens... but I had dishes and cookware that didn't fit....

No, I didnt, but I started one for my DD. When my Great Grandma passed away, Her Ggreat Grandma, she got a set of dishes. I have made some tea towels, ect to match the dishes.

Yes I did I had all my move out stuff stored there. I was 17 and it really did come in handy!

Mine was more of a box in my closet that I put in items I collected before my wedding. I had a set of pots and pans I got a great deal on, 12 settings of 3 different size glasses (from the grocery store, you buy x amount of groceries and you got to buy a glass for a pittance, mom was buying the groceries) I had a pretty lace table cloth and a couple of handkerchiefs. Some other miscellaneous stuff I can't remember now.

Yes! I still have it, and starting to help my 17yr stock up with items!! It was something, when I was her age, and saving and saving till I married!

Yes, I got a hope chest for graduation. Course both of my younger sisters got sewing machines...........never understood why I didn't get one. But by the time my sisters graduated, they had build their own hope chest in woodshop class. I was the home ec girl, now an FCS extension educator and to me it would of made more since to give me a sewing machine, but whatever.
    Still have the hope chest and it's used for storing child hood memories and a few memories of my children. It's 30+ years old and maybe one day will give to a granddaughter but to also include a sewing machine for her.

Yes I did! My fiance was in the Navy, serving on the USS Enterprise. When they traveled to Pakistan he was allowed to purchase me one and store it on the ship for its return. It's a beautiful rosewood with beautiful carvings. We've been married 23 years now!

Blog Entries
    I had a laundry basket and a cardboard box with sheets, glasses, pots & pans, a sewing box and cleaning supplies all stored in my closet. Since I got married right after high school, I needed it all.

I have two wooden trunks stuffed full of things for my two daughters, ages 20 and 18. I don't think they are going to need it any time soon. But I'm having fun filling them for when they need them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I still have my hope chest but it holds quilts now. I had mine full of Tupperware (my big sis kept having parties), a quilt from mom, silverware etc. Then when I graduated high school I bought more things. Then after college I got married and had so much. It was fun to sit and look thru it too. I think I will start one for my granddaughter.

Blog Entries
    Well, there really is no hope left for my chest. The girls are heading steadily South. lol

I had a very nice one with a padded seat. My boyfriend bought if for me. Later he became my husband. I had it filled with glassware and dishes, none of which I still own. I dont even have the hope chest anymore. Had to sell it when times got bad. But now I have 2 more that are much more beautiful.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Yes I had one. My DF built me a wooden box covered in upholestry fabric and I packed it full with dishes, a coffee maker and anything I could find at yard sales for the kitchen. When I got married I think I had everything needed for the kitchen.

My sister did, but I guess my parents thought there was 'no hope' for me! To be honest, I wasn't interested in getting married at all...ant the thought of having kids turned my stomach.

So what happened? Married twice - the second time I got it right. 3 kids, 1 stepchild.

And still no hope chest!

Yes I had one. And loved filling it a little at a time.

a dear family friend with no children gave me her grandmother's cedar chest with brass bands on the top when I was 16 years old. It was 50 years old then. I filled it with chrochet doilies, embroideried dresser scarfs, tea towels that came in detergent and free glassware from the grocery store. It was full when I got married in 1964. I gave it to my daughter when she turned 16 and she still has it!It is full of stuffed animals and barbie dolls she can't part with. (She is 40 now)

I had a few pieces of tupperware and a couple of Holly Hobbie dish towels that I kept in a box in the closet. A few short months after I got married my dad's mother died. She was in a nursing home. Her things were in storage. They cleaned out the unit and gave me most of the house hold goods. Glasses, flatware, pots and pans, and some furniture. I teased my dad that he sent me off with a dowry, especially when he used to tell me he was giving me $20 and a 20ft latter when I wanted to get married.

Blog Entries
    When my step-son went to college, the whole family rummaged through their stuff and we all donated to help him. That started us on a hope chest for the youngest son just like the girls. He married while still in the Navy, and his hope chest sure did help with the household supplies. We had learned our lesson well, and provided him with lots of stuff that we found here and there, and from older family members we got unused, lovely real linens for all the kids. Most of the younger ones want older stuff, they see the cheap stuff that does not hold up in use, especially for half a life time like the real fabrics.

As a Christmas (I believe) present, my sister and BIL gave me a beautiful cedar hope chest. I didn't get the items in it, but I still have the chest! I love it! For a wedding present, my (same) sister and BIL gave me a new sewing machine because I complained that she had two (from grandmothers) and I didn't have any.

Blog Entries
    I did. I filled my Mom's cedar chest with different things, mostly for the kitchen. My Mom bought me a flatware set at the grocery store, piece by piece, and also a set of china, which sits in my attic, still boxed and never opened. This thread is bringing back some very sweet memories of my Mom.

I did. My then fiance whom I later married, gave me a Lane cedar chest the Christmas after I graduated high school. I filled it with a 4 place setting of avocado green trimmed Corelle dinnerware, tupperware, Revere Ware copper bottom pots and pans, silverware. I still have the cedar chest but not the same husband. My daughter is currently in college and living in her own apartment. When she moved in I asked if she wanted the cedar chest for storage. She looked at me like I had 5 heads. I guess it's not the right time to pass it down yet.

This topic touched me deeply today when I remembered a few things in my mother's linen drawer. Lovely old irish linen napkins, never used that I know of, two beautiful linen table cloths. I remember on lazy Sunday's when we weren't allowed to do anything, my girlfriend Kitty and I would go through my chest and fold and refold things, passing the time. She contacted me last year after 45 year absence and we talked and talked about those fine old things. Wonder why the younger generation pulls away from traditions? I went to a bridal shower recently and embarrased the daylights out of myself. I'd bought the gal six panties from a very nice shop. She is like me, quite a large gal and I wanted some pretty lacey and colored ones. I got there and the husbands and brothers were included and the bbq was cranked up on the patio. Everyone handed the groom boxes as well as the bride. I thought Emily Post taught us that bridal shower was for the trouseau???? oh well.....I'm a dinosaur! But, I like our traditions much better. Makes you feel nicer, I think.

Blessings, Ruth

I have my Grandmothers(she was born in 1892). It's solid cedar inside & out. Has an open end key. It dates back to 1909. She received it as a gift from a beau. I keep her glass cut dishes, fur coat, fox stole, old wool one piece swim suit, wedding dress, and other family herilooms in it. I have no children of my own, so it'll get passed on to neices. I also had one of my own, which I filled during my high school years. I gave it to my step daughter.

It's sad the younger generation has no desire to learn the old ways or keep them going. All they seem interested in is new stuff & dragging kids to sports 6 or 7 days a week.

Well, I'm still hoping....for that Mercedes !!!! LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast