Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-any-you-have-hope-chest-t70966.html)

mrspete 10-18-2010 05:32 PM

I had a little wooden box, not exactly a chest, and I had some table scarves that I croched edging and embroidered flowers on, a couple sets of pillow cases that I embroidered. I croched some doilies and tea towels. Odd and end dishes for pretty things. 8 place settings flat ware, butcher knife, a few towels from Breeze, and every recipe that I came across. I got a set of blue willow dishes from Ben Franklins for graduation and of course it went in there. Then for Christmas that same year I bought myself a cheap set of pots and pans. I came from a mountain background and we had slim pickens, but we were a happy bunch!

Quilter7x 10-18-2010 05:34 PM

No I never had a hope chest, but I love hearing about all the things you put into yours!

Leota 10-18-2010 05:39 PM

I had a padded topped toy box that we recovered with a white paisley embossed vinyl and then lined with white lame'. It only held linens... but I had dishes and cookware that didn't fit....

CarrieAnne 10-18-2010 05:45 PM

No, I didnt, but I started one for my DD. When my Great Grandma passed away, Her Ggreat Grandma, she got a set of dishes. I have made some tea towels, ect to match the dishes.

Quiltforme 10-18-2010 05:51 PM

Yes I did I had all my move out stuff stored there. I was 17 and it really did come in handy!

Jim's Gem 10-18-2010 05:52 PM

Mine was more of a box in my closet that I put in items I collected before my wedding. I had a set of pots and pans I got a great deal on, 12 settings of 3 different size glasses (from the grocery store, you buy x amount of groceries and you got to buy a glass for a pittance, mom was buying the groceries) I had a pretty lace table cloth and a couple of handkerchiefs. Some other miscellaneous stuff I can't remember now.

smtp5 10-18-2010 05:53 PM

Yes! I still have it, and starting to help my 17yr stock up with items!! It was something, when I was her age, and saving and saving till I married!

Robinlee 10-18-2010 05:58 PM

Yes, I got a hope chest for graduation. Course both of my younger sisters got sewing machines...........never understood why I didn't get one. But by the time my sisters graduated, they had build their own hope chest in woodshop class. I was the home ec girl, now an FCS extension educator and to me it would of made more since to give me a sewing machine, but whatever.
Still have the hope chest and it's used for storing child hood memories and a few memories of my children. It's 30+ years old and maybe one day will give to a granddaughter but to also include a sewing machine for her.

MZStitch 10-18-2010 06:03 PM

Yes I did! My fiance was in the Navy, serving on the USS Enterprise. When they traveled to Pakistan he was allowed to purchase me one and store it on the ship for its return. It's a beautiful rosewood with beautiful carvings. We've been married 23 years now!

KatFish 10-18-2010 06:03 PM

I had a laundry basket and a cardboard box with sheets, glasses, pots & pans, a sewing box and cleaning supplies all stored in my closet. Since I got married right after high school, I needed it all.

I have two wooden trunks stuffed full of things for my two daughters, ages 20 and 18. I don't think they are going to need it any time soon. But I'm having fun filling them for when they need them.