Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-any-you-have-hope-chest-t70966.html)

SherriB 10-18-2010 07:16 PM

I did. I filled my Mom's cedar chest with different things, mostly for the kitchen. My Mom bought me a flatware set at the grocery store, piece by piece, and also a set of china, which sits in my attic, still boxed and never opened. This thread is bringing back some very sweet memories of my Mom.

quiltnmom 10-18-2010 07:26 PM

I did. My then fiance whom I later married, gave me a Lane cedar chest the Christmas after I graduated high school. I filled it with a 4 place setting of avocado green trimmed Corelle dinnerware, tupperware, Revere Ware copper bottom pots and pans, silverware. I still have the cedar chest but not the same husband. My daughter is currently in college and living in her own apartment. When she moved in I asked if she wanted the cedar chest for storage. She looked at me like I had 5 heads. I guess it's not the right time to pass it down yet.

mrspete 10-18-2010 07:50 PM

This topic touched me deeply today when I remembered a few things in my mother's linen drawer. Lovely old irish linen napkins, never used that I know of, two beautiful linen table cloths. I remember on lazy Sunday's when we weren't allowed to do anything, my girlfriend Kitty and I would go through my chest and fold and refold things, passing the time. She contacted me last year after 45 year absence and we talked and talked about those fine old things. Wonder why the younger generation pulls away from traditions? I went to a bridal shower recently and embarrased the daylights out of myself. I'd bought the gal six panties from a very nice shop. She is like me, quite a large gal and I wanted some pretty lacey and colored ones. I got there and the husbands and brothers were included and the bbq was cranked up on the patio. Everyone handed the groom boxes as well as the bride. I thought Emily Post taught us that bridal shower was for the trouseau???? oh well.....I'm a dinosaur! But, I like our traditions much better. Makes you feel nicer, I think.

Blessings, Ruth

Feather3 10-18-2010 08:44 PM

I have my Grandmothers(she was born in 1892). It's solid cedar inside & out. Has an open end key. It dates back to 1909. She received it as a gift from a beau. I keep her glass cut dishes, fur coat, fox stole, old wool one piece swim suit, wedding dress, and other family herilooms in it. I have no children of my own, so it'll get passed on to neices. I also had one of my own, which I filled during my high school years. I gave it to my step daughter.

It's sad the younger generation has no desire to learn the old ways or keep them going. All they seem interested in is new stuff & dragging kids to sports 6 or 7 days a week.

slk350 10-18-2010 09:19 PM

Well, I'm still hoping....for that Mercedes !!!! LOL

sew cornie 10-18-2010 09:57 PM

I never had one. My sister hoped to put one together for a daughter someday, but she only had boys. So she got them each a tool chest and has been buying a new handtool each year. By the time they leave home, they'll be set with what they need to fix anything.

mountain-moma 10-18-2010 10:11 PM

Oh the memories this brings back i had one as well me and my other 4-sisters each had one had things in them as towels from washing powders,dish cloths,washcloths,bowls,talblecloths still have a Christmas tablecolth my mother had when i was still at home use it every year it is round with ruffles.I had mostly kitchen things in my hope-chest

candlequilter 10-19-2010 12:28 AM

Yes, at first it was just an old trunk that my parents had had for years and I got to use it as my hopeless chest. I made all sorts of things for it like embroidered dish towels, pillowcases, collected glasses from soap boxes and etc. For graduation my parents then bought me a real cedar hope chest by Lane. I still have it and use it for all my special things I want to keep. I have in turned bought my own daughter a cedar hope chest by Lane for her graduation present and if I ever get to be a grandma hopefully I can carry on with the tradition.

redvette54 10-19-2010 02:59 AM

Yes, it's an old trunk. Still have it, I put a piece of pexiglass on the top and use it as a side table in the living room.

clem55 10-19-2010 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Well, there really is no hope left for my chest. The girls are heading steadily South. lol

LMBO!!!