Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!! >

Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!!

Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
I have forgotten eggs boiling and man do they explode! So sorry about your all but new stove.
Me too. Have to remember to put lots of water in the pan and stay nearby. Yeah, that's what I tell myself when the explosion happens but do I remember next time, NO.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 AM

I've never done it, but I was in the house when my grandmother did. The stench was pretty bad. Bummer about your stove.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 AM

Yes, sadly to say more than one time have I let eggs boil dry. What I do now is stay right in the kitchen until I bring the eggs to a boil and then I shut them off and put a lid on them and let them finish cooking by the heat of the water and turned off burner. It doesn't matter if I forget about them then. Usually I set the kitchen timer to 15 minutes and then take the eggs out of the hot water and put them in cool water.

Since I forget other things like taking a garment out of the dryer after a few minutes to hang to finish drying, I now pop a brightly colored ponytail band on my left wrist. That reminds me that I have something I need to do in a couple of minutes. I never wear a watch or bracelet so just having it on my wrist feels strange and reminds me to go do something. It works every time. :)
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

You should get some of those Eggies. They work great.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM

I once was boiling eggs while chatting with next door neighbor and the water boiled out of the pan. The eggs exploded and hit the ceiling. I was lucky it was an old electric stovetop. No damage other than a burnt pan and no smoke.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 AM

whoops!! did that once with bacon. cows were coming out the gate and I was making breakfast. they are so hard to get back in, so ran out to chase them back--forgetting the bacon. Just as I shut the gate I hear Mommy mommy fire!!!
My gosh had two kids in house and smoke rolling from the pan. Had a big spot above the stove the smoke never came off. Never did that again. If I wasn't right there I didn't put anything on the stove.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 AM

[quote=Tropical]Yes, sadly to say more than one time have I let eggs boil dry. What I do now is stay right in the kitchen until I bring the eggs to a boil and then I shut them off and put a lid on them and let them finish cooking by the heat of the water and turned off burner. It doesn't matter if I forget about them then. Usually I set the kitchen timer to 15 minutes and then take the eggs out of the hot water and put them in cool water.

This is exactly what I was going to type. I never let eggs boil, just bring to boil, turn off stove and put lid on and then walk away.
I have had more food burn on the stove since I started quilting. There are too many to mention. LOL
Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 AM

[quote=luvstitches]
Originally Posted by Tropical
Yes, sadly to say more than one time have I let eggs boil dry. What I do now is stay right in the kitchen until I bring the eggs to a boil and then I shut them off and put a lid on them and let them finish cooking by the heat of the water and turned off burner. It doesn't matter if I forget about them then. Usually I set the kitchen timer to 15 minutes and then take the eggs out of the hot water and put them in cool water.

This is exactly what I was going to type. I never let eggs boil, just bring to boil, turn off stove and put lid on and then walk away.

I have had more food burn on the stove since I started quilting. There are too many to mention. LOL

I just read in a magazine to turn off the stove when it boils and it also said how long to leave them set for each size egg. Appx 12-20 min. for small to jumbo.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 AM

Ouch! I did explode eggs once, fortunately for me it was on a gas range so no damage just a heck of a mess.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 AM

Thank goodness you didn't start a fire! I tend to be forgetful also when I sit down to sew, so I set a timer to remind me of things. Maybe you can get a portable one and bring it with you to your sewing room when you have more than one thing going? So sorry about your stove, I have a glass top and cringed when I read your story.